http://www.2men1garage.net/Jeep-Gran...004-Parts.html
    2015 WK2 Laredo(ZG, WG)
    Never too old to learn something stupid

Comment

• Beauy
      I just registered
      • Jul 2010

Extra tips on WJ seats

Experienced the collapsed issue on the driver's seat in my 2004 WJ.

Drover's tips on removal were very helpful. Hopefully these extra points may be of use.

After removing the seat and then the base from the remainder of the seat we found 3 major cracks in the frame.

After investigating we feel the major cause of the cracks is the seizing of the 'pressed rivets' on each corner of the base. These should be able to articulate as the seat is adjusted or even sat in. Once they seize there is only option for this stress and that is for the mild, thin steel to crack.

The fix.
      The cracks were welded up. However these cracks were close to a plastic sleeve. So welding was in short spurts followed by spraying water via bottle, to avoid melting plastic.

The maintenance.
      My Jeep has done 210 000 so was probably due this problem. Prior to welding we spot heated (with blow torch) and tapped each 'pressed rivet' to gain some movement. This worked well as the clean break of one side meant we freed up a side using this method and hoped for the best on the others.

The big tip.
      If you have your front seats out, lube up these 'pressed rivets' to avoid the cracks.

Comment

• drover
        MonsterMoose
        • Apr 2005

My other seat has done the same thing, stripped the wheel. Worked out it happens when the back seat is folded and you adjust the front seat too much. Going to order new bits from www.2men1garage.net but will wait for the exchange rate to improve I think, even then get them posted to a US mate first, postage is a bit deadly.
        2015 WK2 Laredo(ZG, WG)
        Never too old to learn something stupid

Comment

• bleetnblurt
          CrawlerStar
          • Jul 2014

drover , if you need a couple of worm drive gear for the seats PM me , I have a few that are in good order, dam I seem to have a few of everything at the moment ,

Comment

Working...
          X