Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doka404
    • Nov 2015

I fitted the Hyline louvers (preferred the look of them and got a mate in the US who got them and shipped them for me) to mine a few weeks ago and it has had no positive or negative impact on running temps when normally driving around.

Prior to this it did a cooling system overall (Flush, Radiator, Waterpump, Thermostat, Removed thermos and put Viscous back).

I also out a new Stacked Plate Trans cooler in, bypassing the radiator and I have to work out a way to get more heat into the trans as it runs at around 140-150 deg (Farenheight as thats what the gauge is in) now, but that's another story.

After all that it ran at (normal driving) at around 90-91 deg according to the scan gauge, climbing to around 93-95 when you pull up at lights before recovering

Since fitting them it sits around 87 deg and climbs to around 90-91 when you pull up at lights before recovering.

I don't seem to get as much heat soak when you pull up and shut it off and the bonnet gets no where as hot as it used to.

It got a good wash today and no issues with water getting in but I did pull all the connectors and give them the old dielectric grease treatment just as a bit of insurance.

Saying all that I never really made the effort to note down air temps etc to get a real comparison, but 'seat of the pants' feeling says they have made a difference.

Last edited by doka404; 24-07-2016, 09:52 PM.

Comment

• LuluBelle
      AJOR Bronze
      • Apr 2013

doka404 serious vents there man far out!
      well its no more bbqs for me pushed the buy it now button on ebay all up $217 posted to me from the usa shame the aud is down 12 months ago shopping was more fun LOL
      waiting on the postie now!
      96 XJ Limited LPG Conversion......
      99 XJ Sport ... Finally on the Road
      RC Mini Me

Comment

• junglejuice
        MonsterMoose
        • Nov 2003

Originally posted by LuluBelle View Post
        looks cool jimmyg I have been thinking about this for a while junglejuice the negative air flow thing I don't think it really matters unless you are going 200kph its hot in there I have read everything there is replaced the entire cooling system professionally flushed the entire system replaced hoses runs great but you can still cook a bbq on the bonnet so I am going to do the vents

cant hurt and jimmyb s look cool
        markjcherokee I live in the outback so if it rains I will put a tarp over it and drive the PT seriously I don't think that much water will get in and ruin your day
        You have clearly missed my point re the vents facing forwards to force air into the engine bay, this is totally opposite to what the others on here such as JimmyB have done and I also have done.

BUT as I have said many, many times this is an enhancement that does help to lower under bonnet temps, mainly at low speed BUT if you have a cooling issue THIS IS NOT THE FIX!!!!!!!!!!!
        JJ

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland

Comment

• BLAKLISTED
          CrawlerStar
          • May 2012

What vents are you running there JJ?

Comment

• junglejuice
            MonsterMoose
            • Nov 2003

Originally posted by BLAKLISTED View Post
            What vents are you running there JJ?
            They're just some cheapies that I spotted at BCF when I was in there, I was going to use the stainless steel ones like I have done in the past,

But as mine is red with black trim I figured it was a better match....
            JJ

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland

Comment

• LuluBelle
              AJOR Bronze
              • Apr 2013

junglejuice sorry man the louvers will be facing backwards the way they should face cooling I have replaced the thermostat 3 times the radiator 2wice new water pump hoses full coolant flush clutch fan is good so is the electric fan just gets hot!
              now saying that it does not BOIL! I can drive all day 1000 ks and I sit on 100 to 105 none of this 90/91 deg I hear people talk about on these forums
              the only time its 90/91 is when I leave Bris at around 1 am till I get to roma the cool night air run but you can see the temp gauge move going up the Toowoomba range at 3 in the morning the hot running thing really pisses me off I have done everything! you know they get hot you are running 2 electric fans
              My PT runs cool the commodore runs cool both cars you can see the ground in the engine bay there is room for the heat to disperse no room in the Jeep and I have the LPG converter and plumbing now I have heard that the lpg converter helps cool the coolant?
              I dunno? at times I have had to run the heater in summer to bleed a few degrees off I love my XJ it just scares me running so HOT I hope this helps get rid of the heat build up
              My transmission cooler is one of the ones that bypass the radiator
              do I need to put a whirlybird on the bonnet !!

more examples of my crazy cooling
              a couple of weeks ago I was going to Longreach until my o2 sensor wires melted it was a cool morning I went all the way to Barcaldine temp never went over 90 ish 106 ks went to the dump yesterday towing a 6x4 box trailer of rubbist 3 klm round trip average speed 50 kph temp was a quick 100
              I will try anything as I want to go offroad
              96 XJ Limited LPG Conversion......
              99 XJ Sport ... Finally on the Road
              RC Mini Me

Comment

• junglejuice
                MonsterMoose
                • Nov 2003

Yes I run twin electric fans (but I ditched the mechanical fan) but so does my Commodore.
                My twin electric fan set up pulls less air then the stock mechanical fan does so it's down to more airflow, I also still run my trans through the radiator, fully stock in those regards.
                I spent over an hour yesterday idling along on the bruce h'way due to horrible traffic, AC on, towing a 1t camper trailer, temps never changed from normal 90ish...

My t/stat is at least 13yrs old as it was in the car when I bought it, I replaced it with a new one (Tridon) but it was erratic so I just refitted the original (OEM) unit...

Just a thought, have you actually tested the performance of your temps sensor accurately to verify it's reading correctly???
                JJ

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland

Comment

• alexbrown64
                  AJOR Gold
                  • Nov 2012

Originally posted by LuluBelle View Post
                  I will try anything as I want to go offroad
                  I can't say if all my work on the cooling system has worked yet, as i have yet to get the XJ engineered and passed pits.
                  But here is the work i have done in the hope of beating the overheating blues (as it did overheat on the beach).

Runcool hood louvers.
                  Replaced cracked headers with new ceramic coated headers.
                  High flow water pump.
                  New 195f thermostat, cover and gasket.
                  New Stant rad cap.
                  New 3 row ally radiator.
                  All new hoses, including heater hoses.
                  Triple electric fans with shroud from dirt bound offroad.
                  Derale tranny cooler with fan bypassing rad.
                  70/30 coolant mix.
                  6 out of 7 welch plugs replaced with brass.
                  Pressure tested system (and found leaks) (loose hoses).

I believe that most of the above, if faulty, could contribute to overheating.
                  Check your exhaust for cracks (increases underhood temps, mine was cracked), make sure you have a good thermostat (mine was fcuked), and get in there with a blue light to check for leaks... and make a cheap pressure tester like i did... i put it up on a separate thread. As others mention, the whole system must be good. I thought my old rad was good, but when i took it out, it was weeping from two spots. My old water pump bearing was also really stiff.

Cheers,
                  '95 XJ I6 4.0 AW4 NP242,
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X