• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sirlitchfield
    Senior Newbie
    • Mar 2017

Jeep Cherokee KK fuel Consumption

I just recently swapped my car from a Ford XR6 2009 4.0 litre V6 to a Jeep Cherokee KK 2010 3.6L V6. I have noticed the Jeep consumes a lot more petrol than my previous car. Is this due to the weight of the Jeep or just how they are? I reckon I could get 400KMS per 60L tank in the Ford, but the jeeps 70L tank will probably only get me 300KMS if i'm lucky. This is in stop and start city driving of course. It's my first time owning a Jeep or any 4x4 so i don't know if this is normal.
  • skipperau
    Full Flexer
    • Apr 2009

The Falcons tank is 68l, compared to the Cherokees 73.8l and with the Cherokee being a SUV (to use the American term), 200 odd kg heavier and less aerodynamic I'd expect roughly the same or a bit less per tank than the Falcon. But we don't buy Jeeps for economic reasons, we buy them for their capabilities. [emoji846]
    If your getting a LOT less km per tank than the Falcon then I would start looking at the usual suspects such as air filters and oil changes etc.
    Good luck with it and I hope you enjoy it. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• sirlitchfield
      Senior Newbie
      • Mar 2017

Thanks for the reply. I have already looked into doing a service changing the oil filter, oil and air filter. However I cannot find the fuel filter for this model. I have tried the local supercheap and repco stores and even checked on EBAY with no luck, are they that hard to find?

Comment

• skipperau
        Full Flexer
        • Apr 2009

Originally posted by sirlitchfield View Post
        Thanks for the reply. I have already looked into doing a service changing the oil filter, oil and air filter. However I cannot find the fuel filter for this model. I have tried the local supercheap and repco stores and even checked on EBAY with no luck, are they that hard to find?

No, bypass local sources and use RockAuto in the US as I mentioned in my reply to your other post. Happy to help you find it if that'd help?

Doug.

Comment

• skipperau
          Full Flexer
          • Apr 2009

I forgot to mention, when looking at the RockAuto site the model you are searching for is the Liberty as that is what they call it. It seems there was some negative reaction to reusing the Cherokee name over there.

Comment

• skipperau
            Full Flexer
            • Apr 2009

And as to who to do the gas conversion, I'm in Brisbane so don't know the area well but a mate used David Lindon in Blacktown a while back and was happy with the job.

Comment

• sirlitchfield
              Senior Newbie
              • Mar 2017

Thanks mate. I had a quick look on that site and even they aren't mentioning the fuel filter under category 'fuel and air' under Jeep Liberty 2010.. Does this car not have one or something?

Comment

• Big Dave
                AJOR Silver
                • Jan 2006

Your falcon was a 4.0l straight six with 195kw & 391nm of torque driving only the rear wheels through a 5 or 6 speed auto and weighed 1728kg. The KK has a 3.7l V6 producing 151kw & 314nm of torque driving all 4 wheel constantly through a 4 speed auto & weighs 1935kg. Ot top of all that as said above the KK is less aerodynamic too.

The Jeeps fuel usage is listed as 16.9l/100 urban & the Falcon is 14.5l/100 for the 5 speed Auto & 14l/100 for the 6 speed Auto.

In reality the KK's are more like the 18l/100 in traffic.

So what you are seeing is normal unfortunately.
                It was the wife's car, NOW IT'S MINE FOR THE MODDING!

Comment

Working...
                X