• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • schalky
    Established Member
    • Apr 2009

XJ v Hilux - Advice needed

Hi Guys,

trying my best to get a mate into the jeep craze, although i dont know alot about XJ's im trying my best to swing him over.

he is looking for offroad performance mainly and is looking at the hilux v XJ debate.

i need points for the XJ please so we can add another member to the jeep community.

Cheers,
  • schalky
    Established Member
    • Apr 2009

Originally posted by reyzor
    what sorta hilux is he running?
    Doesnt own one as yet, he has around 10K to spend. he wants a hilux / 4runner

Comment

• schalky
      Established Member
      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by reyzor
      solid axle vs IFS.... nough said.....i used to have a surf (4runner) and it was shit house....about as much flex as a shopping trolley, and the same amount of power... i had the 2.4TD, it was crap.....
      cheers rey,

in terms of power what do the XJs come with? also another issue for him is space.

Comment

• tazwegion
        Full Flexer
        • Oct 2009

Another plus for the XJ over the Hilux is on-the-fly 4WD engagement!
        "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored..." - Aldous Huxley

Comment

• Billnick
          RubiconSlammer
          • May 2011

My young bloke has a Surf diesel, I leave him for dead on any hill, and he doesn't have a hope of towing anything.
          '98 XJ (Deceased)
          '04 KJ 2.4 L petrol(sold)
          '98 ZJ current restoration project

Comment

• dozer
            Established Member
            • Jun 2011

only owned a XJ for a week but just sold a dual cab 1995 hilux turbo d with all the mods.

One thing i can tell you is finding well known parts for the XJ can be a bit of a pain compared to the stuff ready off the shelf for a hilux.

My hilux was running a 2.8 intercooled turbo "13 psi" and had more than enough poke. But in the XJ i have the 4L high performance which also has bucket loads.

Hilux is a bit uncomfy "i had the twin live axles" and the jeep is much more of an arm chair offroad rig "which i like".

Really depends on what he wants to do i think. The ute tray is very handy "hence why im looking for a trailer soon to tow behind the XJ".

Fuel costs are also a major change so if he is on the dole get a hilux lol. The XJ uses a considerable amount of fuel compared to an oiler or 4 pot.

In saying all that i am happy with my decision to sell the yota and get the XJ for what my purpose is.
            If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Comment

• Big Dave
              AJOR Silver
              • Jan 2006

There are many plusses for an XJ over a hilux for offroad use.

1. Power to weight ratio - I6 135kw & 300nm with about 1650kg to haul
              2. comfort - Air, Steer, Windows & often cruise. Leather & elec seats in the Limited (hilux is a tradesmans ute after all. Surf fairs better with regards to creature comforts though)
              3. Solid front axle unless it's an early Hilux
              4. Selec-Trac 4WD system - Shift on the fly 2WD to Full time 4WD (centre diff unlocked for on road) Part time Hi Range (centre diff locked) & Part Time low (also with cenmtre diff locked)
              5. Auto transmission - Better for offroad rock crawling, sand & in general really. Comp trucks run auto's for a reason (downside is down hill run on)
              6. Cheap to buy
              7. Will show up many a Patrol/Cruser with just a 2" lift & 30's
              8. Something different

I grew up with a Dual Cab Hilux 2.2 TD, Dad bought it new in 83 & put over 400,000k's on it in the 20 years he owned it. I did my learners in it & borrowed it many times over the years so have experenced the Hilux first hand & have owned my 96 XJ Limited since 2000 now running many mods including 3" lift & 30" BigHorns. Even when I was running it stock with 225/70/15 AT's it kept up & at times did better, with a mates 98 dual cab Hilux 2.8 TD with 3" lift & 31" muddies in the high country.

Hope this helps sway him
              It was the wife's car, NOW IT'S MINE FOR THE MODDING!

Comment

• junglejuice
                MonsterMoose
                • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Big Dave View Post
                There are many plusses for an XJ over a hilux for offroad use.

1. Power to weight ratio - I6 135kw & 300nm with about 1650kg to haul
                2. comfort - Air, Steer, Windows & often cruise. Leather & elec seats in the Limited (hilux is a tradesmans ute after all. Surf fairs better with regards to creature comforts though)
                3. Solid front axle unless it's an early Hilux
                4. Selec-Trac 4WD system - Shift on the fly 2WD to Full time 4WD (centre diff unlocked for on road) Part time Hi Range (centre diff locked) & Part Time low (also with cenmtre diff locked)
                5. Auto transmission - Better for offroad rock crawling, sand & in general really. Comp trucks run auto's for a reason (downside is down hill run on)
                6. Cheap to buy
                7. Will show up many a Patrol/Cruser with just a 2" lift & 30's
                8. Something different

I grew up with a Dual Cab Hilux 2.2 TD, Dad bought it new in 83 & put over 400,000k's on it in the 20 years he owned it. I did my learners in it & borrowed it many times over the years so have experenced the Hilux first hand & have owned my 96 XJ Limited since 2000 now running many mods including 3" lift & 30" BigHorns. Even when I was running it stock with 225/70/15 AT's it kept up & at times did better, with a mates 98 dual cab Hilux 2.8 TD with 3" lift & 31" muddies in the high country.

Hope this helps sway him
                I second that, mine is on a lightly modded Old Man Emu 2" kit (technically 1") with disconnects and 30" muds for offroad duties and does all the offroad stuff easier than the cruisers I go 4wding with and they run more lift and bigger tyres......

I also tour with mine and tow a camper trailer!!!!

I looked at a turbo diesel surf a few years back and noticed that they have that stupid, moronic drop down tail gate that means you can't reach anything up behind the seat, whereas the Xj has the vastly superior lift gate which works very well at keeping you dry while accessing the rear storage area in the rain.....
                Last edited by junglejuice; 08-07-2011, 05:40 PM.
                JJ

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland

Comment

Working...
                X