X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hdtpluspack
    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by drover View Post
    While I was trying to fix my chain saw, I must have been thinking about this because like VK2 I also think battery may be the culprit. It will throw tranny codes, check your battery if it's 12.3 before starting it's nearly knackered, they really need a damn good charge in them to get things going and running all the stuff, I have found under 12.3 things get wobbly.
    So check and clean terminals, give it a slow charge overnight and see what happens.
    Codes will clear very quickly after a few starts if all is good.
    A poor battery will cause many faults and codes to appear, first thing to check before throwing money at dealers (no never do that) or new sensors and things.
    Solid info here which turned out to be on the money. my wife drives a twin turbo Soarer which has had it's share of dramas such as being flooded twice during the last Brisbane floods. I dismantled the car, sourced, replaced or rebuilt pretty well all the various ECU's, electric seat motors, AC vent door motors, starter motor, alternator, AC comp clutch etc etc etc and this little car has never been anywhere near the problem generator the Jeep has been

Comment

• briteway
      MudSplasher
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by hdtpluspack View Post
      I have a somewhat skewed opinion of Dealers and mechanics. Dealers are generally thieves and mechanics are like Doctors, there are only a few good ones around that really know what they are on about and who are not out to rip off the novices and other less knowledgable car owners.
      You're not the only one haha. In regards to the novices or less knowledgeable car owners, on the other hand, if you know something then some mechanics don't like that either and they get shitty when you rock up to get your vehicle done. For many, time is the only constraint. When I took my Toyota 2 years ago and asked if he could replace the rear main seal and rear diff fluid and nothing else, he got the shits and said he couldn't do the job after the car was sitting in his workshop for a day.

That's because he couldn't charge me for a heart and a liver on top of the kidney transplant. Since then, I decided to make my own time but that requires having another cheap "emergency" run-around vehicle.
      sigpic

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/Hemi4WD
      Facebook: http://goo.gl/85r51x

Comment

• drover
        MonsterMoose
        • Apr 2005

In regards to the Dealer, I have never taken my car to a Dealer thus far. I prefer to work through issues myself until I can go no further and touch wood, this point has not been reached.

This is where forum such as this are excellent. I have a somewhat skewed opinion of Dealers and mechanics. Dealers are generally thieves and mechanics are like Doctors, there are only a few good ones around that really know what they are on about and who are not out to rip off the novices and other less knowledgable car owners.
        My apologies about thinking you had gone to a dealer, I never thought I had a "skewed" opinion of dealers but I must have, I thought it was normal actually, we are of like minds and briteway on the money again.
        Glad all is now good.
        2015 WK2 Laredo(ZG, WG)
        Never too old to learn something stupid

Comment

• fester
          No Winching
          • Jun 2010

I think that attitude can be attributed to any automotive service provider these days, I know in my case it is. I like the local ARB owners, I have known both owners pretty well over the years and actually worked for the original owner for a few months (sales) but there is no way I will let their fitters near my vehicles. I refuse to pay top dollar for someone else to instal stuff on my car in a manner that is inferior to the job I would do on it myself. Unfortunately I find it hard these days to find someone who has as much respect for my vehicle as I do, let alone find someone who really knows their stuff.
          I got a sweater for Chrissy, nothing wrong with that except I was hoping for a moaner or a screamer.

Comment

• bodgie
            Rock Munki
            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by fester View Post
            I think that attitude can be attributed to any automotive service provider these days, I know in my case it is. I like the local ARB owners, I have known both owners pretty well over the years and actually worked for the original owner for a few months (sales) but there is no way I will let their fitters near my vehicles. I refuse to pay top dollar for someone else to instal stuff on my car in a manner that is inferior to the job I would do on it myself. Unfortunately I find it hard these days to find someone who has as much respect for my vehicle as I do, let alone find someone who really knows their stuff.
            This is exactly why I do 99% of my own work too.

Comment

• SMBCJ
              CrawlerStar
              • Jun 2006

seems to be the case for some of the guys participating in the forum.
              Haha. You got me. My 'cheap runabout vehicle' is a mate's 96 Pajero on long-term loan while he's overseas.

My gearbox codes also disappeared after a new battery.

Comment

Working...
              X