• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • timbotrog
    Lowranger Shocker
    • Jul 2007

24w LED as an extra reverse light

Finally got the required brackets to mount my 24w LED light to my Rola Vortex roof rack.

Thinking of just taking power directly from the reverse light wiring. Am I being a little too optimistic with the current draw of the light?
    sigpicI'm interested in apathy.
    2014 Anvil JKU Rubicon
  • MidnightMods
    MudSplasher
    • Jun 2012

Check the rear watt output from standard, then check the cable and work out if its safe, Most will say yer sure its fine, and its only 24watts in this case. But as a blanket rule is, if this was a higher power drawing light it could melt the wiring loom and cause alot of damage if not a fire (in extreme cases)

It should have specs with the light it self?

Comment

• fester
      No Winching
      • Jun 2010

Originally posted by timbotrog View Post
      Finally got the required brackets to mount my 24w LED light to my Rola Vortex roof rack.

Thinking of just taking power directly from the reverse light wiring. Am I being a little too optimistic with the current draw of the light?
      Boils down to what the factory wiring is like cause basically you are doubling the draw with the incandescents in the reverse lights probably 21 watt. Change them to LEDS and you might be right.

Alternatively and fairly simple is maybe take the power from the accessory plug in the rear cargo area, through a relay and triggered by a feed off the reverse light. That way it's all still nice and handy at the rear and no need to run wiring back to the engine bay.

You also have the option later to add a switched circuit to operate it from a switch in the rear if desired.
      I got a sweater for Chrissy, nothing wrong with that except I was hoping for a moaner or a screamer.

Comment

• timbotrog
        Lowranger Shocker
        • Jul 2007

Fester that's exactly what I plan to do in the immediate future. Just wanted it up and running quickly for tomorrow night.
        sigpicI'm interested in apathy.
        2014 Anvil JKU Rubicon

Comment

• fester
          No Winching
          • Jun 2010

OK I reread your post so to clarify Do you want to operate it as a reverse light just fired from the reverse gear activation. If so to be on the safe side re the factory wiring and as a short term measure why not just remove the bulb from the side you pull the feed from. Reverse usually being 21 watt then the loom will still only see about the same load and no risk of overloading the wiring.
          I got a sweater for Chrissy, nothing wrong with that except I was hoping for a moaner or a screamer.

Comment

Working...
          X