• Show
Clear All
  • drj33p
    CrawlerStar
    • Aug 2008

WK2 Overland towing with WDH

G'day Guys,

For those that tow with a WK2.

A relo's brother has a WK2 Overland with air suspension and tows a 21' carravan.

Q.Does he use WDH or not ? and why ?

Thanks in advance.
    sigpic

"Such Is Life"
  • GMEMUD
    AJOR Gold
    • Feb 2004

I think he should be using a WDH on that size van, reason, puts weight onto the front axle. He would have upwards of 200kg on the tow bar which when static is not an issue, then add the extra weight when going over bumps and undulations and the more weight is added to rear of the rear axle which in turn takes weight off the front axle, which is not a real bad issue in a straight line,dry road, then add an undulation through a bend in the road, then add wet weather.....no/poor steering response.
    There are countless threads on this issue on the caravanning forums.
    I tow a 3.3t van with the WH with a WDH fitted at it sits and rides nicely. I also have a 1.6t van that I tow without the WDH and it sits down in the rear, bottoms out the rear suspension and generally not as nice to tow as the 3.3t van with the WDH fitted. I will be using the WDH with the small van from now on also.
    My 2c worth.
    WK2 Overland, KJ, CJ10, FC 170- '79 Chief, 52 Willys pick-up.

Comment

• drj33p
      CrawlerStar
      • Aug 2008

Thanks GMEMUD,

I also tow a 3.0t offroad van with my WH and use a WDH and i would also think he should use one, but as i don't know anything about the air suspension and how it works i'm not prepared to say for shore.

I also have a camper trailer with a ball weight around 150kg's and with and all the gear in the back i also had the down in the back issue and i fitted polyairs to the rear and at 30 psi it sits much better.
      sigpic

"Such Is Life"

Comment

• pauljp
        Senior Newbie
        • May 2011

Hi,
        I tow a 3.2t van with my wk2 with QL and would not tow without it. I think you will now find that Jeep does actually state to use a WDH with anything above 2250kgs. I have always used one and not a problem. There is a massive thread on this on a caravan forum that will help you with more advise. Even though the suspension will make the car level, you will not have the weight back over the front wheels for steering, braking but most importantly reducing sway caused from the van/car combo not with the correct weight distributed. I notice an aboslute massive difference with and without it.
        Paul

Comment

• drj33p
          CrawlerStar
          • Aug 2008

Thanks pauljp, as i said i think i would to.
          sigpic

"Such Is Life"

Comment

• fwdjeep
            Established Member
            • May 2012

I have a new grand cherokee limited 2013 diesel.
            First tim out yesterday with my van 21 ft 2.9 ton van
            Still trying to get the best set for the weight distribution system
            How man chains do you link up

I had 6 to start with bu the car and van was a little twitch took it to 5 links but now the nds of the bars are up around the chassis of th van bu was less twitchy.

Pulled up cunningsham gap yesterday once on the climb thevtemp guade climedvfast to about hal way on the guage 105C was a little concerned as mynpatrol never got holt owing th same van smelt some oil may be transmission but No warning lights or messages - no visible leaks either
            Fuel consumption a bit high 17.5 lts per 100kms but its only new with 3000 kgs
            So far not as impressed as i would like to be
            Any help or guidance woud be appreciated

Comment

• drj33p
              CrawlerStar
              • Aug 2008

I have mine on the 6th link but i have over the years adjusted the height of the tow hitch and plus my Grand is lifted with Polyairs and you may also need to reload the van and lighten the ball load a bit.
              sigpic

"Such Is Life"

Comment

• Savvas
                Established Member
                • Feb 2012

Originally posted by fwdjeep View Post
                I have a new grand cherokee limited 2013 diesel.
                First tim out yesterday with my van 21 ft 2.9 ton van
                Still trying to get the best set for the weight distribution system
                How man chains do you link up

I had 6 to start with bu the car and van was a little twitch took it to 5 links but now the nds of the bars are up around the chassis of th van bu was less twitchy.

Pulled up cunningsham gap yesterday once on the climb thevtemp guade climedvfast to about hal way on the guage 105C was a little concerned as mynpatrol never got holt owing th same van smelt some oil may be transmission but No warning lights or messages - no visible leaks either
                Fuel consumption a bit high 17.5 lts per 100kms but its only new with 3000 kgs
                So far not as impressed as i would like to be
                Any help or guidance woud be appreciated
                How many km's did you have on the GC when you towed? Maybe it hadnt run in enough before you did the trip.

Comment

Working...
                X