X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hutch
    Blackhawk
    • Jun 2005

DJ I would wait for Stu's snorkel much nicer fit. I am running stu lift and 275/55/20 on the 20 rims give a fair bit more sidewall than std. Running Nitto allterrains.

Hutch- Jeep GC blackhawk 2014.
    Hutch-Jeep Grand Cherokee Blackhawk 2014

Comment

• djsmiles
      • Oct 2014

Cheers for the reply Hutch.

Im looking at nitto also. But the new exo grappler.. Unfortunately the smallest they do is 275/65/20.. I believe it might be a tad big.

I rung stuart at merchison yesterday to order my lift kit and bash plate, and he said he doesnt believe the snorkel will be done and available by xmas. We're driving from Darwin down the east coast as far as newcastle. Camping all the way. I was hoping to have a snorkel fittied b4 the trip itself.. local TJM store quoted $885 for the airflow snorkel fitted.
      Last edited by djsmiles; 11-10-2014, 05:13 PM.

Comment

• Wanderer
        Full Flexer
        • Apr 2008

[quote=djsmiles;1496718]Hmm. Im In two minds.. ready to get a snorkel. Go with airflow or wait for the murchison one..
        QUOTE]

From what I've just read in the latest 4x4 Australia.."Black Magic" article, Stu is quoted as saying his snorkel won't be ready until at least the end of this year..I'd like to see the specs and dyno data re speed /revs vs power..I know Airflow has been in the business for many years but Stu has only just entered it...This is not to say Stu's won;t be good but I'd like to see data and reviews before hacking into panel work etc only to find all is not good..Bit late to change since the entry hole is in different locations and the plumbing route is different for each and what happens with mods to the airbox...Softly softly is the approach, diesels don't like air starvation just like reversing the air ram re:

(extract from S003D instruction booklet)

Do not turn the Air Ram away from the direction of travel because it will lessen the positive pressure necessary for proper operation. In extreme situation, at speed above 25km/h a vacuum may be generated causing irreversible engine damage
        A smaller Air Ram Head won't cause a vacuum but at low speeds but like Michael says, won't necessarily supply sufficient air with some adverse effects.
        My WK2 Trailhawk, Laredo & Commander

sigpic

Comment

• djsmiles
          • Oct 2014

So apart from looks, do you think the airflow would do a good job? Have you seen those specs and dyno sheets? Sure looks are important, but id rather a snorkel thats efficient and doesnt effect the power feel of the car.

Wanderer, do you have a snorkel fitted?

Comment

• Hutch
            Blackhawk
            • Jun 2005

it is interesting we talk about air flow but the std intake at the front has foam blocks, strips of rubber etc all blocking flow not to mention the opening isn't that big so u would think anything would be better...my 3 cents....

Hutch- Jeep GC blackhawk 2014.
            Hutch-Jeep Grand Cherokee Blackhawk 2014

Comment

• Numb Thumbs
              Full Flexer
              • Jan 2013

The air from the snorkel has to do a 180 degree turn and then run through 2 metres or so of ducting - with a few turns and twists thrown in for good measure.

It has to accommodate the needed airflow from idle to flat out. Oh, and it has to work in air stream varying from zero to 200 km/h... And reverse!

Not a simple device!

Cheers
              Numb Thumbs
              sigpic2017 Grand Cherokee Limited with Off-road Pack - Quadra-Lift, Quadra-Drive and Bash Plates.

Comment

• djsmiles
                • Oct 2014

Has airflow released dyno data?

Comment

• Bomber
                  Jeepin' is incurable....
                  • Aug 2004

My car was the development vehicle for the XH Airflow snorkel. I sat with Mike on several occasions as he showed me the computer models showing how even a slight change plumbing routes affected airflow. I have the dyno graphs for before and after.

I'm not knocking what Stu does for the brand. I'll be fitting the Airflow...
                  WK2 2013 Trailhawk
                  VJ2 4-63 1948 Jeepster
                  MJOC

Comment

Working...
                  X