• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EJEEP
    I just registered
    • Jan 2019

Stubby bumpers

Howdy all,

Thinking on getting a stubby front bumper for my 2018 JKU.

I live in NSW and I am struggling to find any direction in if they are legal?

Loads seem to be driving round with them on,

Any advice would be helpful
  • Fishframe
    Full Flexer
    • Apr 2020

Post some pics of what you mean by ‘stubby’.
    Jeep TJ rebuilt 4.0L, Custom Steel Roof Racks, vintage ((Jeep specific)) 15” Centerline Hellcats,

Comment

• EJEEP
      I just registered
      • Jan 2019

Comment

• Nanook
        AJOR Bronze
        • Mar 2014

Yes they are illegal. The ADRs specify that the bumper must give full coverage of the body. There is also a mention about pedestrian safety and not being able to be hung up or grazed.

Allowed:

If the bull bar incorporates the front bumper
        or a horizontal member, the ends go at
        least partially around the side of the vehicle
        or be capped.

Last edited by Nanook; 28-04-2020, 10:52 AM.
        Cheers,
        Jamie

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders

Comment

• EJEEP
          I just registered
          • Jan 2019

Thanks I did read that-I think the grey area was that they do extend past the actual body of the vehicle as the Jeeps wheels are classed as out side the body but the arches cover them. Certainly not worth the drama of being pulled over.

Comment

• Nanook
            AJOR Bronze
            • Mar 2014

There's also the point they make about end shape because stubby bumpers are generally straight they don't conform to the shape of the vehicle which also makes it illegal.

There are plenty of stubbys that are available in Australia with the removal end sections that cover the tyres. You just remove them when off road. Though it kind of defeats the purpose of having that stubby look on the road.

You see so many 4WDs on the road with tyres protruding outside the guards which is also illegal and people seem to get away with it. I'd hate to think what their insurance are going to do to them if they are ever in an accident.

I followed a 200 series Land Cruise once that half the tread was outside the guards due to the offset he was running. He was just asking for trouble.
            Cheers,
            Jamie

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders

Comment

Working...
            X