• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gibrate1
    Established Member
    • Nov 2017

Air leak after fuel filter change [SOLVED]

After replacing the fuel filter and filter to the LP pump line (broke fitting during removal), air bubbles are present when drawing fuel from the bleeder valve, and Jeep won’t start.

*LP to HP pump line is missing one of the retaining clips as shown in second image.

• JeanLuke
    Lowranger Shocker
    • Jul 2017

Check the o-ring on the water bleeder. It sometimes gets left behind in the old fuel filter.

Check the rubber hoses are okay and clamped tight. Also check the screw on top of the filter is tight.

Next step is to check the the fuel thermostat valve - the one on the back of the filter with the two rubber hoses on it. Plumb the fuel return directly to the return pipe and connect the two barbs on the valve with a length of rubber hose. If this fixes it, order a new fuel thermostat valve. They're not expensive.

Sent from my moto g( plus using Tapatalk

Comment

• gibrate1
      Established Member
      • Nov 2017

Originally posted by JeanLuke View Post
      Plumb the fuel return directly to the return pipe and connect the two barbs on the valve with a length of rubber hose. If this fixes it, order a new fuel thermostat valve. They're not expensive.

You mean remove fuel thermostat and place a barb fitting in its place?

If the water level o ring was missing wouldn’t fuel leak from the bottom?

Comment

• JeanLuke
        Lowranger Shocker
        • Jul 2017

Keep the thermostat in place but join the two barbs to effectively block it off. Don't do this until you resolve the missing o-ring on the water drain.

The filter runs under slight vacuum, being on the suction side of the LP pump. No o-ring = air getting in.

Comment

• gibrate1
          Established Member
          • Nov 2017

Ok

Comment

• JeanLuke
            Lowranger Shocker
            • Jul 2017

I got a replacement drain from Jeep Parts (yes, three e's) at Harvey Bay. They initially wanted to charge something stupid for freight until I asked them to just post it.

Comment

• JeanLuke
              Lowranger Shocker
              • Jul 2017

Also... Set yourself up with WJ Diag Pro and monitor fuel pressure while cranking. It need to be around 225 bar to start. If you see the pressure slowly climbing while cranking, keep going and it might fire. Sometimes it takes a few long cranks after opening the fuel system.

Warning - don't keep cranking if you are not seeing any pressure. You'll damage the HP pump.

Comment

• gibrate1
                Established Member
                • Nov 2017

225 bar at rail right?

Comment

Working...
                X