• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • humdingerslammer
    Full Flexer
    • Oct 2009

Insurance...choices, choices, choices

So, I have received a renewal from RACV for JKU insurance comprehensive at $1415 annual. This is between $600-750 more than say Woolworths Insurance, Budget Direct and AAMI.

I can't see that either provides much in the way of differences in terms of what is covered.

I have been with RACV for years but think they r now getting too expensive. Also, after a caravan incident I found that service was pretty poor, which was not my previous experience years ago.

Who are you all insuring with? Are the cheaper options worth it or better to not consider?
  • OLMATE
    Full Flexer
    • Apr 2020

Was with NRMA here in NSW for over 25 years, Nil claims, no incidents, each year it would go up, yet insured amount would
    decline rapidly , considering vehicle hasn't even cracked 100,000km, yet if I did an identical online quote it would always be heaps cheaper, in the end I bit the bullet and went elsewhere,got sick and tired of grovelling with them to get the bloody premium reduced, absolutely no loyalty shown on their behalf and quite frankly they weren't interested, ended up getting Comprehensive Unlimited KM with Australian Seniors, this is my 2nd year with them now, got windscreen cover,
    etc,etc renewal was exactly same as last year $790 but insured amount went up to $39,000.
    NRMA is just a Shop front name for seperate Car and Home Insurance Companies, even Roadside Assist you have to ring up and talk to a seperate entity as the girls in shop office can only onsell it not amend it, anyway not going to bad mouth them, but unfortunately NRMA is not what alot of people view them as any more, I suppose all Insurance companies are going to have some set backs and people are always going to have something negative to say when you say who you are insured with, I feel it all comes down to what's works best for you, after all your the one being covered, Not them
    Last edited by OLMATE; 06-07-2022, 09:26 PM.
    MY16 GC WK2

Comment

• Gojeep
      LokRinger
      • Jul 2002

My in-laws just left RACV too for the same reasons. Went with AAMI as was so much cheaper, until the next year when it went up by 30%! Just watch the first year quotes and glad to hear that some don't jack it up straight away.
      Also always check offroad coverage as some don't cover damage there.
      Last edited by Gojeep; 09-07-2022, 08:13 PM.
      Cheers, Marcus.

My web site:
      http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club

Comment

• OLMATE
        Full Flexer
        • Apr 2020

Originally posted by Gojeep View Post
        Also always check offroad coverage as some don't cover damage there.
        My Oath, I asked the question and where I'm likely to go, I was informed all good, National parks, Dirt roads etc
        Good point Gojeep, always check and ask the question, dont take it for granted thinking they will provide the cover if you know theres a chance of beaching it
        MY16 GC WK2

Comment

• tony66au
          AJOR Gold
          • Jul 2022

Originally posted by humdingerslammer View Post
          So, I have received a renewal from RACV for JKU insurance comprehensive at $1415 annual. This is between $600-750 more than say Woolworths Insurance, Budget Direct and AAMI.

I can't see that either provides much in the way of differences in terms of what is covered.

I have been with RACV for years but think they r now getting too expensive. Also, after a caravan incident I found that service was pretty poor, which was not my previous experience years ago.

Who are you all insuring with? Are the cheaper options worth it or better to not consider?
          Been having issues with this for a while now both Home and Vehicles and service has been declining and prices going up.

Age makes a difference, location too but the last 4 years the insurance underwriters seem to be getting pissy and choosey even with my being in my mid 50's, Rural and low km per year.

Made a claim 4 years ago on Home insurance coz storm damage and thats kinda screwed me too because Budget Direct flat out wont touch me when I was calling for quotes and because I bundle my insurances youd think they would be happy for the business.

AAMI I had company cars with so for repairs and speaking to a few panel guys I know they are a big miss for me plus cost creep.

RACV/NRMA etc all the same mob, more flexible and they do Historics for CLub Permits but exxy and not as much fun to deal with.

Shannons, Used them for years, had a Storm damage claim and they made it really easy and organised everything even calling to see if I had any out of pocket expense like Disconnect/Reconnect of my Power to the house, Ive also heard from Car club members who use it for their classics and their dailies and they too had a fair shake but again Price creep every year on Home and Car but the combined policies saved me a fair bit so it balanced out.

One call fixed everything and they were fast so thats where my Car insurance stays and I just suck up the increases.

Weirdly im looking at CGU through Bendigo bank for my Home and contents and failing that?

Try a Broker instead of dealing direct, Most of them know more than enough to cut you a better deal, sometimes with the same company you have used before.

Comment

• eksjay
            Full Flexer
            • Jan 2009

How good is this video?

Do the retail policies cover off-road adventures and mishaps???

Comment

• OLMATE
              Full Flexer
              • Apr 2020

Anybody else's Insured Value jump up in price?
              MY16 GC WK2

Comment

• Jeep GC
                I just registered
                • Aug 2022

Originally posted by OLMATE View Post
                Anybody else's Insured Value jump up in price?
                Yeah, I compared the beejesus out of them all as I usually do for mine last term roll over. I went to a comparison website, or three, and compared insurances too.

After that I went direct, as in typed in the www address, not clicked the lazy link from the comparison website, to the insurance company I choose from the comparison websites and went through all the bollocks again input to get a quote and it was surprisingly cheaper than the comparison website by I think $45.00 if I recall correctly. Go figure. Money for jam I guess by secondary parties.

Anyways, I went this time with https://www.pd.com.au/

I'd check their policy for off road insurance too if you're a hard core off roader. The policy, at least mine, does NOT insure a trailer so be aware of that too.

No affiliation or recommendation. They were simply the cheapest BY FAR for what I use my Jeep for.

Comment

Working...
                X