• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kiteman
    Established Member
    • Jun 2008

Spicer 5-760x axle UJ longevity??

Good day All
    I was wondering if anyone has replaced their front axle UJ's with the Spicer 5-760x's?
    I replaced my OEM ones at 247k kms (yes they were REALLY cactus!), I'm now on 325k kms and I'm getting a tell tale jerking of the steering wheel as it centres. I raised the front end and put the wheels on full RH lock and tried to turn the RH wheel and it was binding and wobbling as I forced it around.
    It felt very bound up as the UJ knuckle past certain points and it was squeaking. This to me sounds like the joint has gone dry and will need replacing, but after only 80k kms approx. ? Does this sound like a normal wear period?
    I only engage 4WD maybe a couple of times a month on camping trips so no gnarly rock crawling, UJ busting stuff..
    It maybe the life span of these joints, but interested to know how many others have replaced these multiple times...
    Many thanks for all replies..
    Kiteman
  • layback40
    Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner
    • Jan 2011

Dryness or water kills Ujoints.
    The XJ has the same joints.
    I replaced one of mine at 100,000km.
    Approaching 400,000km now.
    I have replaced the rear tail-shaft joint at the diff.
    If you drive through water with everything warm, you may get water into the joint. I have found that having greaseable joints is needed for long life.
    98&01XJVMs,06&07KJCRD's,No longer question authority,I annoy it.More effect,less effort.10000Club

Comment

• Kiteman
      Established Member
      • Jun 2008

Yes Layback I agree, I was of the impression these Spicers were the bees knees compared to the OEM ones and I never expected them to be failing so early.
      Whatever anyone says about the weakness that a grease channel causes I think they are the only way to go for longevity…. Just need to find the greasable version..
      Last edited by Kiteman; 29-05-2024, 09:22 PM.

Comment

• Kiteman
        Established Member
        • Jun 2008

Cactus journal on 85,000 km Spicer axle UJ….
        Attached Files

Comment

• layback40
          Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Kiteman View Post
          Cactus journal on 85,000 km Spicer axle UJ….
          That joint pic has had water in it in the past.
          The other (cap) looks like its dry.
          If the joint had regular MP grease it probably would still be in use.
          Dont use EP grease. The molly makes the needles slide instead of rolling. You need a little friction!
          Whenever I have been in a lot of water, I pump grease into everything ASAP. Often you see water come out of the joints.
          Same applies to ball joins but they need EP grease.
          98&01XJVMs,06&07KJCRD's,No longer question authority,I annoy it.More effect,less effort.10000Club

Comment

• Kiteman
            Established Member
            • Jun 2008

Originally posted by layback40 View Post

That joint pic has had water in it in the past.
            The other (cap) looks like its dry.
            If the joint had regular MP grease it probably would still be in use.
            Dont use EP grease. The molly makes the needles slide instead of rolling. You need a little friction!
            Whenever I have been in a lot of water, I pump grease into everything ASAP. Often you see water come out of the joints.
            Same applies to ball joins but they need EP grease.
            Cap is from the journal in the other pic…I’ve had to go with the 5-760x again, the other side looks/feels fine so I’ve not replaced that one but got the spare if it does go the same way. Not to bad to replace these but expectations of 100k + before replacing again have been dashed somewhat
            ​​​​…

Comment

Working...
            X