X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gojeep
    LokRinger
    • Jul 2002

Keeping the rebuild brief as you have all seen it go together before over the coarse of the build.

Something that is being added for the first time is the heat, sound and vibration layer. The floor is all done in Resomat which was even used in our Australian army vehicles and was locally made near me. A layer of loaded vinyl and aluminium and can even be pulled back and stuck back down if needed. Pity it is no longer made! Top of the tunnel is done in the more common butyl and aluminium layer and can be bought by the roll in different widths from the hardware store as I had run out of the Resomat.

The whole rear wall and ceiling is layered in Formshield, https://www.clarkrubber.com.au/produ...778-formshield, which is a sound and heat control substance which is also a moisture and fungi protection layer and is fire rated.

These little scraps are all I had left of the three products used!

Now the last of the wiring harness can go back in as the upper cab and whole chassis is already fitted. This is just for the floor and behind the dash.

With wiring in place the rear wall can go back in and fortunately the holes I made for the rear vents while the cab was away being painted, fitted perfectly. Nice when the measurements taken months earlier work out. The one piece ceiling is also back place.

Dash is back in after the A/C and all the ducting etc was added.

Console, carpet and subwoofer grilles to cover the vents in place. I fitted a filter layer behind the grilles to reduce sound and stop any stay dust coming through the control flaps.

Got a really nice brass etched body tag that I stamped with the chassis number out the the UK too! Think the brass suits the gold pearl in the paint better than the standard aluminium one.
    Cheers, Marcus.

My web site:
    http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club

Comment

• Gojeep
      LokRinger
      • Jul 2002

I now have nearly all the engine bay components fitted. Here the newly repainted coil covers are not yet fitted to show what it looks like.

Now with the covers fitted that I made from some old GEN 1 Hemi rocker covers. I decided in the end to go with a tradition silver and black. Also got the lettering highlighted and they did a great job on it. First painting the cover black, then overlaying the silver before carefully rubbing over the lettering until the black underneath showed through!

The last things can now go into place which is the suspension tower brace and the horn. Everything in semi gloss black to keep the focus on the engine and not what's around it. There is practically nowhere you would have seen the inner guards even if they were painted body colour anyway.

The guards, grille, valance and the newly re-chromed bumper with the parking sensors are all back on.

Bonnet ready to lifted on with the help of my wife. I had to bend the 'wings' of the front ornament back a little to have it sit properly, which was very nerve racking as it is cast from pot metal and could easily snap!

Bonnet went back on easily without a scratch. Getting closer to being completed everyday.
      Last edited by Gojeep; 27-05-2024, 09:52 AM.
      Cheers, Marcus.

My web site:

Comment

• BENAMON
        Established Member
        • Aug 2008

its been a little while since I have checked in on the build - I must say - its looking great! that colour is a really nice choice

Comment

• Gojeep
          LokRinger
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BENAMON View Post
          its been a little while since I have checked in on the build - I must say - its looking great! that colour is a really nice choice
          Thanks mate.
          Cheers, Marcus.

My web site:

Comment

• Gojeep
            LokRinger
            • Jul 2002

Couldn't wait to get it back down on its wheels and tyres to see what it looks like. Any vehicle looks a bit goofy without them.
            Cheers, Marcus.

My web site:

Comment

• Penguintas
              Senior Newbie
              • Oct 2009

Great the see the car coming together. Still in awe of such a tidy work environment.

As we get to close to the end I am a bit sad that I will not be able to look forward to the next update.

When are you starting on your wife's car????

Comment

• Gojeep
                LokRinger
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Penguintas View Post
                Great the see the car coming together. Still in awe of such a tidy work environment.

As we get to close to the end I am a bit sad that I will not be able to look forward to the next update.

When are you starting on your wife's car????
                I'll start my wife's car as soon as this is out of the workshop.
                I can't wait as have learned so much on this that I can make that one even better.
                Cheers, Marcus.

My web site:

Comment

• Gojeep
                  LokRinger
                  • Jul 2002

Next on the list was to improve the door locks I had used. You really had to slam the doors to close, and even worse if the windows were up!. The typical Chinese universal large "bearclaw" rotary latches are actually a knock off of ones made in the USA. Same bolt pattern and size etc. Only reason I didn't buy US made ones in the first place was that they are not lockable, so can't have a central locking system. But now I know how to fix that problem. The US ones are on the left and the Chinese ones on the right. I bought my latches from Hot Rod Latches. https://www.hotrodlatches.com/

The L shaped piece coming out of the original one is what turns the standard latch into a locking one. It is just a square rectangle with a thread on one face to hold a grub screw to control how far the piece can move in the slot. I would just cut the slot right through if making one from scratch. Can see it was even added afterwards by the manufacturer as not zinc plated like the rest of the latch.

The grey arms you see at the other end are what I had made and added to transfer the opening arm to the other side of the glass so I could have both an inner handle and a button push door handle to open from the outside, shown earlier in my write up.

Here I have transferred over the opening arms as well as the little steel box to hold the locking L piece in place. The link connects to my central locking actuator that I got off a XJ Jeep Cherokee.

There are three parts for the latch. The left and right C shape pieces, that wrap around the striker bolt, as well as a third L shaped arm that sits right at the bottom and holds the other two closed.

Really hard to show but the green handle is showing the position of the L shaped arm inside the latch case in its open position, hard against the back of the case. It pivots off the mounting hole by my thumb and the rest of the arm goes up the short side of the latch case to the release arm.

When the latch is closed, the arm comes up to the back of the C shaped pieces and holds them closed. This is when the locking piece I added can now slide up behind it and stop it from going back to the open position.

I got new glass cut as had scratched the original ones taking them in and out so often when building out the doors originally. It was green glass that is no longer available in the country. So I had some plain glass cut and tempered and a high heat rejection tint added that has a green tinge to it to make it the same as before in colour, but better against heat.

Only problem was I discovered the glaziers had not rounded the bottom corners and it would dig into the glass track. So I nervously ground a radius with a grinder with a flap disc. Just doing it a tiny bit at a time so it wouldn't heat it up and explode the tempered glass!

And what do you know, I scratched one of the panes fitting it! Least it was only the tint and had to get it redone.

Can you believe everything shown go into these two doors, and that is not even including the glass, door cards and window surrounds!

Another change I made was making a hatch in the floor to access the battery. I decided in the end it was easier than dropping the mufflers and taking it out via the bottom.

Not that noticeable in the end anyway and now was the time to do it before the floor gets bolted down with the bed panels.

Pleased to say that the door latches work so much better and the pressure relief vents are doing their job also as you can see all 4 of them flip up and open briefly at once. Truck started first go after being completely pulled apart a year ago and put back together, even on the old fuel still in the tank.
                  Cheers, Marcus.

My web site:

Comment

Working...
                  X