• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blackpearl
    Established Member
    • Aug 2006

Is it really our fault?

We just got a lettr in the mail and apparently the car we gave away to a freind was involved in an accedent.

It was reg in our name but we didnt own it , on the rego stiker for the green menice the is a line which says "registration does not prove ownership"

We dont wanna pay for someone elses accedent!
    ins knows who's drivn and they have their name ect,
    we lost the receipt for the sale cause the reg woulda run out ages ago.

pls help.....
    YOU WILL HAVE FUN, YOU WILL HAVE IT QUIETLY, AND YOU WILL HAVE IT NOW!!!!
  • Fat Chili
    BANNED AGAIN
    • Oct 2003

For what it's worth (i.e. the paper it is written on) you could reply to the authorities on a statutory declaration signed by a JP or other notory public.
    2000 TJ with stuff
    1949 Willy's CJ3A, with Koenig twin-stick dual output PTO - Project 'Farm Jeep'

Comment

• Blackpearl
      Established Member
      • Aug 2006

MMM not so promising then eh?

Comment

• hillsjeep
        AJOR Bronze
        • Sep 2006

In SA when you sell a car there is a section on the rego papers you get the new owner to sign and you keep stating they now own it, for just this reason. Do they have that up there and if so did they sign it? If you have that down here then you have no problems.
        Otherwise I guess you could contact the new owners and tell them that if they don't own up, you'll report it stolen
        Last edited by hillsjeep; 01-12-2006, 06:08 PM.

Comment

• Blackpearl
          Established Member
          • Aug 2006

The rego was almost out when we gave it to him and it was up to him to get it regd. it was a late 90's festiva in great cond very well looked after car.

we didnt own it.

Comment

• MattW
            Rock Munki
            • Jul 2003

If it comes to it that you are responsible because the guy driving it doesnt want to take responsibility the only option you may have is what hillsjeep said. Report it stolen. In reality you own it if its registered in your name so are able to claim it stolen.
            Last edited by MattW; 01-12-2006, 06:38 PM.
            The beast now has colour but is still on life support

Comment

• CRDSTU
              Just Build it
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by MattW
              In reality you own it if its registered in your name so are able to claim it stolen.

Sorry mate, I used to work in the industry and that is false. Registration does not PROOVE ownership.

Blackpearl, you'd better hope you have some form of 'transaction' on paper otherwise its very bad news for you, you will be liable for the damage the green menice casuses and that includes personal injury.

The only thing I can think of is IF you havent cancelled your insurance, you'll be covered (bit tricky but should be OK).

Shit mate, I wish you luck.

Whenever I sold a car, I would drive with the new owner on the day of handover, down to the Dept of Tport and sign the whole thing over - you have to anyway to pay 2% stamps ? have you got that reciept ?
              Murchison Products Workshop
              S27.32998 E152.97906
              U85/86
              111 Leitchs Rd
              Brendale QLD

Comment

• MattW
                Rock Munki
                • Jul 2003

Sorry i thought he meant that he had sold it in a private sale but not lodged the sale papers. If they had been lodged with dept. of transport wouldnt they have a receipt of the sale so that they know who owns what.
                The beast now has colour but is still on life support

Comment

Working...
                X