X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jimmyb
    Head Honcho
    • Jul 2002

The only other weird symptom mine had before it stopped running was excessively high idle the week prior.

Help support the forum

Comment

• El Duderino
      Established Member
      • Jun 2008

Some thoughts...

I just noticed this tread...sorry to hear the TJ's cactus Jimmy! I've read all the posts, which has narrowed the possibilities down a fair bit. Without seeing the TJ 1st-hand it's hard to be exact, so I'll suggest a few areas to focus on. Let me know how you go ok!

My initial thought was an under-charged battery, which could be the battery itself or the alternator playing up (gunk in internals-have a look btw). Remember that all of this 'trial and error' starting lately will have severely depleated your charge, and possibly irreversibly damaged the cells in your battery.

A dodgy AFM (air-flow meter) was a likely culprit, as the air/fuel ratio's would have been totally out of whack n not started the car. As you've changed this over with no result, time to look at other areas...have you looked at the TPS (throttle position sensor)?? Do you have a bored-out throttle-body and not had the ECU remapped (over-revving makes me ask)??

Ignition coil-pack is another area to look at, but without a spark-tester or a 2nd set of hands this is hard to establish. D'oh! Clean the dizzy, points on the rotor, etc anyway...it won't hurt. While you're at it, give the spark-plugs a good clean and use a dab of engine oil or copper-grease on the threads (prevents moisture entering and protects the thread in the cyl-head).

The ECU sounds highly suspicious, due to the erratic nature of the problem. 'Jeeps' comment sounds quite plausible and would be worth checking out, as they can be temperamental and fragile, especially if you go off-road a lot.

Crank-angle sensor you've already sussed out and discounted that theory. The oil and fuel pumps also seem a possibility, but as you've been able to run the TJ and the tell-tale symptom was over-revving, followed by dying n not starting, I'd be looking elsewhere...

Try out my suggestions, and also look for any rubbing (read shorting out) or melted wiring around the ECU...I've seen this on a couple of cars before which was creating similar hassles. I'll have a scratch and a think anyway, but let me know how you go okies!

Comment

• Jimmyb
        Head Honcho
        • Jul 2002

Well I am clarifying the crank angle sensor tomorrow 100% as I am getting a brand new one to try from Jeeparts.

I also received a ECU from Jeeparts, which tried no luck.

No spark to the plugs, leads or coil anyways.

Swapped over another TPS also with no luck. Well actually swapped over complete throttle unit with a 2nd one I had here.

Will know more in 24hrs. Thanks for replys people.

Help support the forum

Comment

• Jeeps
          HydroKing
          • Jul 2002

What a bastard full or gremlins. I hope it's not something as simple as loose/corroded connections behind the dash or something.
          Softtop TJ, 2" lift, 980 AT's, SYE, 4.11 ratios & locker, 5 string Banjo.

Comment

• Jimmyb
            Head Honcho
            • Jul 2002

Yeah I am getting to a point where I am thinking its going to be something like that Sam.

Help support the forum

Comment

• Jimmyb
              Head Honcho
              • Jul 2002

Well new sensor installed and still nuffin! Thinking now its gotta be in the loom someplace.

Help support the forum

Comment

• starter
                Banned
                • Dec 2006

Originally posted by JimmyB View Post
                No spark to the plugs, leads or coil anyways.
                you need to get a circuit diagram to se what sends power to the coil. then trace it back from the coil to the problem

Comment

• azasjeep
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by pezz View Post
                  you need to get a circuit diagram to se what sends power to the coil. then trace it back from the coil to the problem
                  I think jimmy should fly you up there to sort it out Pezz

Comment

Working...
                  X