X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • layback40
    Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner
    • Jan 2011

My thoughts are the input bearing or internal spigot bearing at the end of the input shaft. Not the nicest of things but it can be noisy for a very long time without failing.
    Clutch thrust bearings often go quiet as soon as you put any pressure on the clutch peddle.Same for the fork spring.
    98&01XJVMs,06&07KJCRD's,No longer question authority,I annoy it.More effect,less effort.10000Club

Comment

• mud_slut
      Full Flexer
      • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Moss View Post
      Hmm, could be but when I push the clutch in a little it still does it. You壇 think that some pressure on the fork would stop it? I wonder if there is a way to check that without pulling out gearbox. Maybe take the clutch actuator off?

The gearbox seems to be working fine. Sometimes there is a slight crunch when going into second for the first time on cold mornings.

It never does it with the clutch in. The rattle stops as the clutch disengages the gearbox (or there about, I知 comparing the position of the clutch pedal to when in gear). Appreciate your help.
      interesting we might be suffering from the same problems. my gears are a bit stiff first thing in the morning also, its as if the syncro isn't lining up properly or worn down however when the box is heated up it feels fine. ive put this down to worn fluid and plan on changing it soon, however someone stripped their gearbox fill plug when trying to remove it with a 28 or a 30mm and not a 11/16 and now has to replace the plug and get creative with removing it from the housing.

MM might be right with the release bearing. i did a clutch maybe about 8 months ago which the clutch, rms, slave & master, release and spigot were replaced. i wouldn't think 8 months later i would have to replace it but there's a chance it could be the release bearing. i replaced my stock one with this kit from wooders (pretty sure it was this was the one )

i thought the rattling noise would have just been the clutch fork retaining spring as it snapped when the fork came out and i didn't have the week long wait to get the part from O/S, that and i can't remember when the noise started appearing.

i dont think this has much to do with it but my selector bush is also pretty worn, so ill also be replacing that soon. (perhaps another thing to look at)
      1999 2.5 Tdi XJ

Comment

• layback40
        Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by mud_slut View Post
        interesting we might be suffering from the same problems. my gears are a bit stiff first thing in the morning also, its as if the syncro isn't lining up properly or worn down however when the box is heated up it feels fine. ive put this down to worn fluid and plan on changing it soon, however someone stripped their gearbox fill plug when trying to remove it with a 28 or a 30mm and not a 11/16 and now has to replace the plug and get creative with removing it from the housing.

MM might be right with the release bearing. i did a clutch maybe about 8 months ago which the clutch, rms, slave & master, release and spigot were replaced. i wouldn't think 8 months later i would have to replace it but there's a chance it could be the release bearing. i replaced my stock one with this kit from wooders (pretty sure it was this was the one )

http://www.wooders.com.au/index.php?...yword=16901.13

i thought the rattling noise would have just been the clutch fork retaining spring as it snapped when the fork came out and i didn't have the week long wait to get the part from O/S, that and i can't remember when the noise started appearing.

i dont think this has much to do with it but my selector bush is also pretty worn, so ill also be replacing that soon. (perhaps another thing to look at)
        I think that is a clutch for a petrol 4 cylinder. The plate for the petrol engines are not strong enough for the diesel.
        98&01XJVMs,06&07KJCRD's,No longer question authority,I annoy it.More effect,less effort.10000Club

Comment

• mud_slut
          Full Flexer
          • Apr 2012

Diesel Gearbox Rattle

Ill see if I can dig up the invoice, it was for a diesel as I called Dave and explained the situation to confirm the parts and to get the correct slave/ master for the xj (as it all comes as one unit)
          1999 2.5 Tdi XJ

Comment

• Moss
            Senior Newbie
            • May 2012

Sorry for the slow reply, I've been working 12-14 hrs a day lately.

Mine only does it for the first gear change on cold mornings. From then it seems good. I did an oil change a few months ago but that didn't do too much. I had the same from with the transfer case plug being stripped. I ended up using a screw extractor from super cheap which did the job. You just have to very careful with the metal filings. Not sure if its worth worrying about just yet. Although I'm thinking about pulling the gearbox out so I might as well change everything at once (depending of cost of parts). I don't really want to be pulling the gearbox out again in the near future.

When I replaced the thrust bearing late last year the bearing seemed fine and the rattle didn't stop after that, so I don't think it could be the bearing.

What should the "point of contact" be with the clutch pedal? Mine seems to be at the very top.
            2001 XJ 2.5TD Sport

Comment

• mud_slut
              Full Flexer
              • Apr 2012

Diesel Gearbox Rattle

All good mate, what fluid did you use ?? I was think or air chiseling the plug loose and replacing it with a new one. Either that or try and file the edges back.
              1999 2.5 Tdi XJ

Comment

• Moss
                Senior Newbie
                • May 2012

All good mate, what fluid did you use ?? I was think or air chiseling the plug loose and replacing it with a new one. Either that or try and file the edges back.
                I used red line mt-90. Good luck!

Bit of a noob question, how do I know what gearbox I have? From what I can tell its the AX5.
                2001 XJ 2.5TD Sport

Comment

• Mudmonster
                  RubiconSlammer
                  • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Moss View Post
                  I used red line mt-90. Good luck!

Bit of a noob question, how do I know what gearbox I have? From what I can tell its the AX5.
                  will be the ax15

2.5L VM Diesel and 4.0L XJ ute Owner
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X