• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Farcall
    • Mar 2009

clunk in zg while driving on highway

Hi All,
    When driving my ZG on the road at highway speeds it will sometimes give a clunk, sound a bit like something disengaging or dropping out off gear. Its an auto behind a 4.0lt.
    Any thoughts?
  • Doctor W
    Full Flexer
    • Nov 2009

How heavy/noisy a clunk????

It could be the torque converter locking up/unlocking like it's suppsed to.......but you can hardly hear/feel it unless you know when/how it's suppsed to work.

Comment

• Farcall
      • Mar 2009

zg noise

The sound is quite harsh and will only happen once a trip and every so often. Not under load of any kind. The car does not hesitate. My jeep has over 320000k on it and I dont know the service records( havent had it long) for the gear box.

Comment

• ZJ from WA
        Full Flexer
        • Jul 2008

possible slip yoke needing greasing. mine also does this.
        how did i get a dent THERE???

Comment

• turbomart
          SwampDigger
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by ZJ from WA View Post
          possible slip yoke needing greasing. mine also does this.
          Yep, or maybe torque converter lock-up.Try pressing button preventing t/c lock-up & see if that stops it.
          I used to be indecisive but now Im not so sure!!!

Comment

• Doctor W
            Full Flexer
            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by turbomart View Post
            Yep, or maybe torque converter lock-up.Try pressing button preventing t/c lock-up & see if that stops it.
            That button is to "lock out" Overdrive engagement............Torque Converter lock-up is not a driver controllable thing.

Comment

• drover
              MonsterMoose
              • Apr 2005

If you don't know it's service history, the best bet is to take it to an Tranny Mechanic who you trust and get him to do a service on it, so long as he's got a code reader that should at least show up if the box has a problem or whether it's elsewhere. If you have rev changes when you hear the clunk then I would say it's the box otherwise its somewhere else.
              2015 WK2 Laredo(ZG, WG)
              Never too old to learn something stupid

Comment

• turbomart
                SwampDigger
                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Doctor W View Post
                That button is to "lock out" Overdrive engagement............Torque Converter lock-up is not a driver controllable thing.
                Actually that button on most older cars which used to be labeled 'overdrive' or 'power mode' is actually just a t/c lock-up disable.So called 4 speed "overdrive" autos were in fact 3-speeds with t/c clutch.The WJ/G auto is a true 4 or 5 (if enabled) speed trans with additional t/c clutch ie it has 2 complete epycillic gear sets instead of 1. one epycilllic gear set gives a combination of 3 forward gears & 1 reverse depending on what element you lock ie ring gear ,satelite gears ,etc.
                Anyway, even on WJ/Gs that button mainly serves to prevent t/c lock-up (t/c clutch cannot handle application under load) as with towing etc.
                Last edited by turbomart; 09-09-2010, 10:22 PM.
                I used to be indecisive but now Im not so sure!!!

Comment

Working...
                X