X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AroGantz
    RubiconSlammer
    • May 2013

I haven't heard a lot of people saying they love the coopers but there are some but I haven't heard anyone bag the mickeys, I've had my mt atz's on for 15000 now and will be in track for at least 80K and they are a great tyre but tbh I would probably go for a summit mudhog or a maxxis next time purely because they are cheaper and I don't see many complaints. Your best bet is to search google for reviews and decide that way, if you get the mickeys go for a 285 as they have a softer sidewall and you'll get a more comfortable ride and they bag more easily for the sand.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
    Aus/NZ Casual Gamers

Comment

• JGB
      Established Member
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by TheoB View Post
      wow price isn't an issue....hmmmm

some guys on here that do lots of kms on the beach and tarmac will say go with an AT (all terrain) tyre.

Also depends on where you want to go offroad (mud, dirt, sand, snow, rocks etc) and to what extend (difficulty) you have in mind.

You can spend frugal amounts or bag loads of your cash in the process, but there are man choices out there.
      Bit of mud, lots of sand!

And not an issue meaning I'd rather spend a bit more and get something decent than save a few extra hundred an get something that'll disappoint in the long run Age old question I'm sure, but this forum hasn't let me down yet haha.

Also, something I forgot to ask -- What is the biggest size tyre one can go without having to muck around with the rear tyre carrier and also the gearing? And of course, before you start feeling a difference on the black stuff? I've seen some 33's around and love the look but worried it'll ruin the ride from stock?

Comment

• SeaComms
        MonsterMoose
        • Jun 2010

Goodyear Duratracs in 285 / 70 17's. Been on for about 17, 000 km so far. Used about 2mm of the 14mm tread. Just went uo the beach two weeks ago and it dragged the 1.2 tonne van through deeply rutted soft sand with ease. Great on the highway, barely more noticeable noise than stock, and so far pretty good in dirt and a little mud. Heading up to Land cruiser park in a few weeks and expect them to perform just as well.

Sent from a tiny keyboard with fat fingers, apologies for my spelling. .
        Cheers, Dave :)

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club

Comment

• TheoB
          Full Flexer
          • Aug 2008

I wouldn't say that 33s are large, but to answer your question I think its either 35s or 37s that you can fit onto the tailgate without too many issues, but just consider that weight hanging on your tailgate and all the bumps and thumps you are driving over. I would recommend either a rear bar with a tyre carrier or at least a Teraflex HD tyre carrier that also upgrades the hinges on the tailgate too.

The old adage of spending more to get better isn't always true. So just research thoroughly before you buy. Talk to people who have those tyre on and ask them where they drive - in the mud and sand or just to the local shops.

Overall your decision on size may also be affected by how large you want to go and what "extras" you are prepared to add to the vehicle to "cope" with the new rubber - diff ratios etc. Im one of the lucky Rubicon drivers who can throw on 33s or 35s without having to 'really' worry about ratios.

its a can of worms....
          WK2 Billet Silver Blackhawk.

Comment

• JGB
            Established Member
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by SeaComms View Post
            Goodyear Duratracs in 285 / 70 17's. Been on for about 17, 000 km so far. Used about 2mm of the 14mm tread. Just went uo the beach two weeks ago and it dragged the 1.2 tonne van through deeply rutted soft sand with ease. Great on the highway, barely more noticeable noise than stock, and so far pretty good in dirt and a little mud. Heading up to Land cruiser park in a few weeks and expect them to perform just as well.

Sent from a tiny keyboard with fat fingers, apologies for my spelling. .
            Thanks man! Any chance I could have a look at yours? As I understand it while you're at work we're practically neighbors? Where do you park? (That sounds creepy! Promise I won't touch it .... Haha!) - I've read good things about the duratracs from my researching.

Originally posted by TheoB View Post
            I wouldn't say that 33s are large, but to answer your question I think its either 35s or 37s that you can fit onto the tailgate without too many issues, but just consider that weight hanging on your tailgate and all the bumps and thumps you are driving over. I would recommend either a rear bar with a tyre carrier or at least a Teraflex HD tyre carrier that also upgrades the hinges on the tailgate too.

The old adage of spending more to get better isn't always true. So just research thoroughly before you buy. Talk to people who have those tyre on and ask them where they drive - in the mud and sand or just to the local shops.

Overall your decision on size may also be affected by how large you want to go and what "extras" you are prepared to add to the vehicle to "cope" with the new rubber - diff ratios etc. Im one of the lucky Rubicon drivers who can throw on 33s or 35s without having to 'really' worry about ratios.

its a can of worms....
            Fantastic! Thanks man! Out of curiosity how come you don't have to worry about the diff ratios?

I'm running a 2013 build / 2014 compliant 2dr sport and will be getting a 2.5" lift soon -- will 33's be okay? Or will I need to mess with gearing? If so, what size could I go and keep the stock feeling?

Comment

• lloydkeeganJKU
              Senior Newbie
              • Feb 2013

Lift and Tyres of your JK

My lift and 33's seems to be good. The ride feels so smooth in my car it's ridiculous! And Corning with the wider tires is good less body roll. I'm yet to put the spare on the back but from what I've read it's all sweet to be on there with no issues.

Comment

• NTRubicon
                AJOR Gold
                • Feb 2013

Originally posted by JGB View Post
                Out of curiosity how come you don't have to worry about the diff ratios?

I'm running a 2013 build / 2014 compliant 2dr sport and will be getting a 2.5" lift soon -- will 33's be okay? Or will I need to mess with gearing? If so, what size could I go and keep the stock feeling?
                Gearing in a Rubicon stock is different to the sport. (4.1 vs 3.73) So, the diff ratios on a rubicon are able to cope with bigger tyres without the need to regear. The sport will start to feel sluggish on anything bigger than a 33" as I understand it. In the auto, it will drop back 1-2 gears to get over very mild inclines compared to stock.

Your 2.5 lift and 33's sounds fine, just make sure you if you plan to use the stock wheel that you avoid a tyre thats wider than 11.5" as it will likely rub at full lock and on articulation of suspension.

Comment

• JGB
                  Established Member
                  • Feb 2014

Originally posted by NTRubicon View Post
                  Gearing in a Rubicon stock is different to the sport. (4.1 vs 3.73) So, the diff ratios on a rubicon are able to cope with bigger tyres without the need to regear. The sport will start to feel sluggish on anything bigger than a 33" as I understand it. In the auto, it will drop back 1-2 gears to get over very mild inclines compared to stock.

Your 2.5 lift and 33's sounds fine, just make sure you if you plan to use the stock wheel that you avoid a tyre thats wider than 11.5" as it will likely rub at full lock and on articulation of suspension.
                  Thanks NT!

And everyone! I really appreciate all the help this forum gives and am even more appreciative to those who turn a blind eye to my complete lack of jeep / off-road knowledge! It's very welcoming for a noob!

I'm 99.99% sure I've decided on a Duratrac tyre after chatting to Seacomm's and everyone and then doing a bit of research. They seem to be the go for an A/T tyre with the 285/70/r17 size (and a nice weight to them), as-well as keeping that 'tough' look of a M/T that I have to admit, I do like!

Now I just have to find some rims to match and somewhere to fit them!

Thanks again everyone!

Comment

Working...
                  X