X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • turbomart
    SwampDigger
    • Nov 2006

Diesels are really quite simple,they are compression ignition .What this means is heat generated from compressing air in cylinder is what ignites fuel when it is injected into the cylinder.If it doesnt start its because 1. insufficient heat (low compression, slow cranking speed,glow plugs innefective) 2.Fuel (not enough volume,not atomised finely enough) 3.timing (either injector timing or valve timing).
    First start on a cold day there isnt enough heat to get the job done ,hence the need for glow plugs.If there is sufficient fuel but not enough heat you will get lots of white smoke from exhaust while tryuing to start.
    If there is a fuel related problem ie air lock or diesel running /syphoning out of pump/injectors then there will be no smoke (or very little if its on 1 or 2 cyl) from exhaust when trying to start.
    Tell us what colour & how much smoke you are getting, its no 1 clue when diagnosing diesels.
    Last edited by turbomart; 28-11-2010, 03:52 PM.
    I used to be indecisive but now Im not so sure!!!

Comment

• ksmith38a
      I just registered
      • Nov 2010

Hi Mark,

The dealer were my car is has tested the glow plugs and the supply to the as well as the rest of the electrical system. I knew the glow plugs were OK as I had changed them. I did also find a blown 50amp fuse that supplies power to the glow plugs. There are two 50amp fuses and two relays, each one supplies power to the glow plugs.

They then did a leak back test on the injectors and found that injector 5 was leaking fuel back into the tank so needed primed every time you tried to start the car.
      Injector 4 had been changed by another garage last year but doesn't seem to have been sealed correctly as this was leaking and had a bad build up of carbon round it.

The fact your problem has reappeared doesn't fill me with hope that all this work will fix it.

You may also want to read this

And this one from Post number 6

I have a WJ 2.7 CRD and would like to ensure that the maintenance is carried out correctly and regularly on this vehicle. I am planning to do a high mileage and intend to limit the risk of breakdowns through pro-active care. Now I have read the owners manual and what they recommend and I have heard various opinions from a number of people on oil change intervals, the replacing of oil pumps and diesel filters etc, but I would like to know if there is an expert on this model Jeep that could
      Last edited by ksmith38a; 28-11-2010, 10:37 PM.

Comment

• ksmith38a
        I just registered
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by turbomart View Post
        Diesels are really quite simple,they are compression ignition .What this means is heat generated from compressing air in cylinder is what ignites fuel when it is injected into the cylinder.If it doesnt start its because 1. insufficient heat (low compression, slow cranking speed,glow plugs innefective) 2.Fuel (not enough volume,not atomised finely enough) 3.timing (either injector timing or valve timing).
        First start on a cold day there isnt enough heat to get the job done ,hence the need for glow plugs.If there is sufficient fuel but not enough heat you will get lots of white smoke from exhaust while tryuing to start.
        If there is a fuel related problem ie air lock or diesel running /syphoning out of pump/injectors then there will be no smoke (or very little if its on 1 or 2 cyl) from exhaust when trying to start.
        Tell us what colour & how much smoke you are getting, its no 1 clue when diagnosing diesels.
        I don't get any white smoke when trying to start it. Once it does start it does then run fine. It will then also start again throughout the day, although maybe taking 5 - 7 seconds of cranking to start.

Comment

• ksmith38a
          I just registered
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Marksawtell View Post
          Hello mate. I'm based in the uk also and have the same problem. there is enough charge in the battery and the engine turns over fast. The first sign of cold, the only way it will start is with squirting easy start in the pipe going from the air filter , which it starts then straight away. Once started, will start no problem all day. Next day its back to not starting if its cold.
          Exactly the same as mine

Comment

• Marksawtell
            I just registered
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ksmith38a View Post
            I don't get any white smoke when trying to start it. Once it does start it does then run fine. It will then also start again throughout the day, although maybe taking 5 - 7 seconds of cranking to start.
            Absolutely the same, no White smoke either. Interestingly I only found 1x50 amp fuse for the glow plugs, not 2 as you stated :0/

I think my next step is to test the voltage of the supply to the glow plugs. Any help from anyone on exactly how to do that would be appreciated. I have a volt meter. Do I test by putting red lead into the socket of the glow plug lead and earth the black lead on the engine and test as the ignition is turned on? Sorry to sound thick, electrics is not my thing!

Comment

• drover
              MonsterMoose
              • Apr 2005

I just had a read of my manual, it would be easier if you could get one yourself, as it's a bit involved as there are 2 glow plug relays and a few other bits to check.
              Problems could show up as a P0380 or P0382 codes and the diagnostics show the check procedures and its a bloody long list, it also requires coolant temp to operate glow plug timing so that may be a problem as well.
              I bought my manual on CD off Ebay from an English mob.

Just a thought you do turn the ign on then wait for the "check" lights to go out before starting the engine ??? allowing the ECU to do its thing.
              2015 WK2 Laredo(ZG, WG)
              Never too old to learn something stupid

Comment

• turbomart
                SwampDigger
                • Nov 2006

If your not getting any smoke that indicates your not injecting fuel ,this may be due to an air lock or fuel leaking back, it sounds possible because your also getting that occasional 5-7 sec cranking aswell.I believe there can be problems with leaking o-rings on the low press fuel supply line causing an air-lock.
                I used to be indecisive but now Im not so sure!!!

Comment

• ksmith38a
                  I just registered
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by turbomart View Post
                  If your not getting any smoke that indicates your not injecting fuel ,this may be due to an air lock or fuel leaking back, .
                  The dealer has found that injector number 5 is leaking fuel back into the tank so not staying primed.

Comment

Working...
                  X