X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drover
    MonsterMoose
    • Apr 2005

This is my Rig, I work my fuel burn at 18mpg, it will float between 14 and 19mpg, or more if I'm in a hurry........ I don't get too annal about it, recent run Thargomindah to Innaminka 14mpg, return Innaminka to Erromanga 19mpg, same speed about 90kph, its all about the wind plus I thinks its all uphill from Innaminka.....
    Rarely on highways but I call truckies up and they talk and I walk them past, no dramas, funny I have had a couple comment that I speak Truckie.... never realized I did but Mrs says yep, my voice and language changes when I pick up the mike, Aeh !

2015 WK2 Laredo(ZG, WG)
    Never too old to learn something stupid

Comment

• Grippy
      Established Member
      • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Farwest
      ...the UHF CH.40 IS YOUR FRIEND....you will be amazed how many good convo's and geniunely nice people there are out there behind the wheel of a truck....!
      So true mate, I've driven trucks in a past life and met some awesome people at various loading yards etc. Have had some great chats to people out on the highway too, especially courteous truckies, some great ones coming down the Bridsville Tk and warning us of them coming so we can pull over to other side of the road to avoid the rocks and dust cloud, same can't be said for the local farm boys out that way who were trying to spray us with rocks.
      I drive over stuff!!!!

Comment

• drover
        MonsterMoose
        • Apr 2005

Always found the fellas out west to be good blokes, some of the highway runners can be a bit uppity, found that when I was working and back then wasn't a great lover of tippers them and the coal blokes always busting a gut and could be scary as would often wonder if they were going to go arse up near me, now rarely on the highways mostly rural but only try to dodge grain season, then you run for cover from those blokes............
        2015 WK2 Laredo(ZG, WG)

Comment

• FamilyTruckster
          CrawlerStar
          • Aug 2018

I love my 3.6 petrol. More than enough power for me. I tow a camper trailer about 3-4 times a year, and the rest is driving to and from work. I drive about 50/50 city/highway, but most of that highway is under 80 km/h. I average 10.1 litres per 100 km’s, which I’m very happy with. And that’s driving with the eco button off and giving it a bit of a flogging.
          2015 WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V6 Petrol.

Comment

• Jeeper6
            Lowranger Shocker
            • Aug 2015

I came out of a 5.7 Hemi Overland WH in to a 3L diesel 8 spd WK2.

Now I have the diesel I miss the Hemi sound and the acceleration. The diesel is good and has more torque than the Hemi and does well on the highway. But it runs out of breath a bit overtaking where the Hemi just kept on accelerating.

I bought the diesel as I am going to travel a bit more. The recent trip as far as Ayre NQ saw my fuel bill half of what it would have been with the V8.

Average mileage for the 5.7L over 3 years was 18.8 litres per 100km, 5.5 kms per litre, included city and country driving and off road.
            Best I ever got towing my camper which only weighs 1300kg with the 5.7 was 5.5 kms to the litre, 17.9 litres per 100km...at 90kmh on a relatively straight road with no hills.
            Off road beach driving towing the camper = average 3.2 k's per litre with a mix of high and low range driving.
            I am sure a WK2 with the Hemi would do better with the 8 speed gearbox and engine updates.

The diesel returns so far average 8 k's per litre,12.5 litres per 100km towing the same 1300kg camper. A bonus is I don't have to watch my speed towing with the diesel. where as when the Hemi got to 100kmh and over, the fuel usage increased a fair bit.

I would buy another Hemi next time...not a diesel fan really.
            CJ5, CJ7, XJ Sport, WJ HO V8 Overland, WH Hemi V8 Overland, 14 WK2 CRD Laredo-RIP, 15 WK2 CRD Laredo

Comment

• SouthernComfort
              RubiconSlammer
              • Dec 2017

2003 Dean, If you want to wake up the tiger buried there in the diesel's capability, fit an iDrive if you haven't already. Very effective across the whole speed/rev band, not just from a standing start. Improved acceleration when overtaking mid range (80/90/100) amazed me.
              MY13 GC Laredo CRD - gone but not forgotten
              MY23 Skoda Octavia MKIV wagon - fully loaded

Comment

• drover
                MonsterMoose
                • Apr 2005

Tootling along at 75kph the little old lady was happy as larry, oblivious to the big line of traffic behind her, I was first in line and soon as I saw a chance the oil burner went from 75kph and alongside at 130, ducked back in well before the next car in line had even started to change lanes, more than enough grunt for me ........ I do love doing the space launch overtake............. its not too bad with the 23ft'r tucked in behind but we do it slightly more sedately.
                2015 WK2 Laredo(ZG, WG)

Comment

• Jeeper6
                  Lowranger Shocker
                  • Aug 2015

Originally posted by SouthernComfort View Post
                  2003 Dean, If you want to wake up the tiger buried there in the diesel's capability, fit an iDrive if you haven't already. Very effective across the whole speed/rev band, not just from a standing start. Improved acceleration when overtaking mid range (80/90/100) amazed me.
                  Hi SC, I have an IDrive fitted and it does take away some of the throttle lag you mention.
                  I had also taken out the turbo resonator and have fitted a snorkle with a K & N filter to assist the cold air flow in.
                  I am getting a new 3" stainless exhaust fitted next week to help the gases get out, and then plan to have Stu Murchison do a tune on the ECU.

That should I hope wake it up a bit more...be interesting too to see if the mods do anything for fuel consumption?
                  CJ5, CJ7, XJ Sport, WJ HO V8 Overland, WH Hemi V8 Overland, 14 WK2 CRD Laredo-RIP, 15 WK2 CRD Laredo

Comment

Working...
                  X