• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drover
    MonsterMoose
    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by layback40 View Post
    simple rule with old Mercedes 4 speed. Overfill & let excess run out overflow when warm. Makes a mess but driving on wet roads soon cleans underside. Why hasnt some one put a dipstick in the fill plug hole before draining & refill to 1/2" above that? There will be a breather. Some place on the top & maybe a tube on it if its a true off road car.

The fill plug is on the side, just like a diff while the breather comes up at the back of engine, the usual hose type set up....
    2015 WK2 Laredo(ZG, WG)
    Never too old to learn something stupid

Comment

• genpk
      Full Flexer
      • Sep 2020

well im hoping the NV transfer case oil the Jeep parts guys sold me is ok for the car. Parts guy did state that normally they used Atf4 in the transfer case but supposedly this NV oil was a better quality oil.
      It is a different colour to the red Atf4 but they stated they have been using it
      in tc .
      im now wondering if they have given me the right info/ oil for that transfer case even though they did know the year and model of my jeep.

Comment

• GCDingo
        Full Flexer
        • Jul 2015

Bringing up an old thread. Long story short, I have a small oil leak somewhere in the front LHS of engine. Maybe oil cooler? But going to get my gearbox done (2015 limited 82k km) as this gives me an opportunity to get it up on a hoist and have a good look underneath.

I am going to just use penrite fluid but have found an eBay seller that sells the pans at good prices but the BMW one and the Jeep one seem exactly the same, but the Jeep one is more expensive. Can anyone see the difference in the 2 or point me to which one is better or a cheaper option? The jeep one does say deep pan but I don't see why they would be different. Same box and BMW being premium/performance car you would think they would have same oil capacity?

ZF, 8HP45Z, 8HP75Z, 8HP50Z, 8HP70Z, 8SPD Auto Trans Oil Pan Kit, for JEEP, RAM AND LAND ROVER. ZF, 8HP45Z 8HP75Z 8HP50Z 8HP70Z. 8HP45Z 8HP75Z 8HP50Z 8HP70Z. 8-speed Auto Trans Plastic Oil Pan+Filter+Bolts Kit ( DEEP PAN).

ZF 8HP45Z, 8HP75Z, 8HP50Z, 8HP70Z. For 8HP45Z, 8HP70Z Automatic Transmission. 8-speed Auto Trans Plastic Oil Pan+Filter+Bolts Kit ( SHALLOW PAN ). SKUzf8hp shallow pan 24117624192. replace’s original part: zf8hp shallow pan.

What quantities of oil are being also?

Thanks in advance
        2015 Granite Limited
        Standard cars are boring. Mod them all.

Comment

• drover
          MonsterMoose
          • Apr 2005

Go the pan for the Jeep/Landy, it is a deeper pan, holds a bit more and also has 2 or 3 more magnets in the pan compared to the Passenger car models... thats the mob I buy mine from actually, other filters I get from DND autoparts on ebay.. I have a BMW pan in the shed and against the Jeep pan the difference is obvious...

I use Penrite BMV in the auto and you will need at least 8 lts for a full change, I just dump 4 lts, change pan and refill, doing it every 40K or so, giving it a full job really needs a hoist... even the half change you need to run the engine while up on stands or you won't get the right amount back in the box..... I change the TC at the same time and use Penrite ATF FS...........
          Last edited by drover; 12-03-2022, 10:15 AM.
          2015 WK2 Laredo(ZG, WG)

Comment

• bjm
            Lowranger Shocker
            • Jun 2009

The so called deep pan is the same depth as the genuine ZF pan I got from Germany for $160.00, landed.However no new bolts .

Comment

• drover
              MonsterMoose
              • Apr 2005

No wonder confusion there are 10 pans listed for the 8HP box by ZF, 4 are for a 8HP70 box but with 1 listed for Chrysler yet the same box model also listed for Landy...... one day I will measure the capacity of the shallow pan to compare with the genuine.........
              2015 WK2 Laredo(ZG, WG)

Comment

• 67HR
                CrawlerStar
                • Jun 2015

The shallow pan only has magnets at the front. The Deep pan has an extra set of magnets on each side near the filter.
                The Wesfil pan is only a shallow pan, found out the hard way, mine was also warped and when laid flat it rocked.
                Auto-one exchanged it for me and got a correct one.
                “RED = Retired & Extremely Disinterested (Locksmith)”

Comment

• LeCheese
                  Full Flexer
                  • Dec 2011

So the deep pan linked is the same profile and volume as the standard pan on the vehicle? What's the quality like compared to a genuine Mopar/ZF pan?
                  2015 GC Limited Diesel w/ QL and ORA pack
                  Chief recovery points, 22" Stedi lightbar, Catch Can

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X