X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • indiedog
    Full Flexer
    • Dec 2008

Okay so finally got another go at this this morning. ......

First up tried it on the KJ. All the pretty lights on the ELM lit up. With WJdiag it would connect to the unit and the menu came up. On hitting "Engine" it would attempt to connect (green lights flashing on ELM unit) then got the message "No answer/Error from ELM". Then tried the Torque app and they would talk to each other.

Next tried it on the WG. After several attempts I got the tablet to connect to the ELM with the WJdiag menu coming up. On hitting either Engine or Transmission it would attempt to connect (but this time no lights showing on ELM unit) and then the same "no answer/error from ELM" would show. Again Torque would connect.

To check the app was functioning correctly I deleted it and then reinstalled it this morning. No difference in outcome.

So as mentioned before I don't expect WJdiag will def' work on the KJ, that was really to check connectivity between the ELM and the tablet.

So not sure if it's the ELM or the connector on the car. Any thoughts? To test the car I need to find someone with a reader that works and try that. If it's not that then it's most likely the ELM unit.
    http://www.arcoeco.com.au

Comment

• JeanLuke
      Lowranger Shocker
      • Jul 2017

I've got a shelf in my garage with a pile of cheap ELM devices from working through exactly what you are now. I strongly recommend that you bite the bullet and buy the real thing. Once I did, everything worked.

Torque partly works on the WG but won't get or clear codes. It completely misses the transmission. It just won't talk to the TCU at all. It will show engine temp, boost and other basics. That's all.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Comment

• indiedog
        Full Flexer
        • Dec 2008

When you say “the real thing “ do you mean the one from the Aussie seller? As mentioned they don’t actually use the ELM chip.

Comment

• JeanLuke
          Lowranger Shocker
          • Jul 2017

I bought the one from Europe, but if the software website lists the Aussie one as compatible, I would go there. It wasn't around when I got mine.

Comment

• freerider170
            Established Member
            • Nov 2017

i bought mine from jaycar fews years ago, work perfectly.

Comment

• Reiver
              Senior Newbie
              • Nov 2018

Just heard about this thread from Adrian D.

I too am looking for a scanner that will work with 2.7CRD WG's - in my case to diagnose ABS issues.

I can state the BlueDriver Bluetooth adaptor does NOT work with 2.7CRD's though I believe those with the V8 can get it to work.

I had a look for the Vgate iCar Pro BLE 4.0 and found it on Amazon for just under £23.00 (much better price than the £99 for the BlueDriver).

WJ/WG support is somewhat ambiguous though there are claims that with the right app (e.g. Bimmercode) you can code BMW's (an unrelated requirement I have).

Is the WG really not OBD2 compliant? It has the OBD2 port & my Autel 419 scanner connects to the engine system (ISO 9141-2 iirc) so at least part of the system is compliant. I know post 1996 US vehicles are OBD2 compliant. I was under the impression that all post '98 European cars were too. BlueDriver claims post 2001 petrol & post 2004 diesels are covered by their adaptor & app.

Comment

• JeanLuke
                Lowranger Shocker
                • Jul 2017

The WG does a half-baked attempt at OBD2. Some (most) engine parameters work. Nothing else does, unless you have the upmarket scantools (Bosch or DRB-III) or WJ Diag Pro.

I use Torque Pro for a boost gauge and coolant temperature. It works perfectly.

For the transmission, without the right tool you're out of luck. Error codes are hit and miss - mostly miss.

Comment

• indiedog
                  Full Flexer
                  • Dec 2008

So this morning I have ordered the Aussie seller's "authentic" ELM327. So another several days of waiting until that gets here........

That's the hassle with doing things yourself, it just takes so long.

Comment

Working...
                  X