X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BrisNut
    Full Flexer
    • Nov 2008

Ok, got back from the beach today and had a bit of play with the stock ESP disable system.
    We noticed in RWD the traction control would restrict throttle but yet let the back dig it self down, both wheels spinning equally. I tried to do some RWD donuts, failure, traction control prevented me from getting any revs up enough to do a half decent donut, I was just driving in circles.
    I then tried 4WD high and had similar results, so I held the ESP button on till it chimed then the ESPOFF came up on the instrument cluster. Then I found I could get wheelspin and do a4wd donut, revs did climb but not exactly quickly.
    But other than that using 4WD and some 2WD on the soft sand I still found the Jeep capable, just missed not being able to do got RWD donuts and sand fountains or plug up the beach in soft sand in RWD as I have been able to do with previous vehicles lacking front drive.
    So I don't personally find this mod necessary yet but would really have liked a manual option from the factory to turn off traction control in 2WD. But am interested to know if they found similsr problems and found this modfixed these situations.
    I also tried with the rear diff lock, and it doesn't engage in 2WD, but in 4WD made no difference other than making the turning circle larger.
    Last edited by BrisNut; 22-03-2009, 07:38 AM.
    Pat,
    Brisbane,
    JK 3.8 Roobicon 4dr 4 Sale :(
    It's a Jeep thing, I don't understand............

Comment

• andyperth
      Full Flexer
      • Feb 2008

I'm new to this love your work so far.
      sigpic
      jk Unlimited

Comment

• rodxj
        AJOR Gold
        • Jan 2008

After spending a week on Fraser Island with the mod done to my JK, I'm more than impressed with it. Before I did the mod, I found the motor was lacking power on soft sand, downright gutless springs to mind. After mod, lookout!! as in previous posts, the authors expressed a belief in horsepower increase, well I can say I definately agree with them on that point! I can appreciate the benefits of BAS/ ABS yada, yada for onroad conditions, but when your struggling through soft,dry sand and the damn computer is hindering your progress because it senses a spinning wheel and backs off the power AAAGGHH.
        I only plan to flick the switch when it's deemed necessary offroad, atleast now, I have the option of choice.
        Thanks to Crazy Nuts for posting this valuable mod.......10/10 mate
        Rod
        Originally posted by ex-Willys-Overland Engineer
        The TJ was the fill in vehicle between the finalisation of the CJ and the development of the JK.

Comment

• CrazyNuts
          Don't do it. I'm NUTS!
          • Aug 2003

I just found another use for the ESP MOD today.

When I was trying to tow someone out of some soft sand, and my vehuicle slid sideways as the recovery was on a slight angle.

The ESP/TC kicked in and got ME stuck. It decided I was out of control and all the brakes came on. This resulted in the smell of a burning clutch. Let's just say I could speak all flavours of colourful language at that stage.

******** YOU CHRYSLER AND YOUR BULLSHIT ********ING SAFETY. YOUR TURNING AN OFF-ROADER INTO A HEAP OF SHIT!!!!!
          ESP/BAS/TC Disable Switch

Comment

• Yom
            DetroitDemon
            • May 2008

Originally posted by CrazyNuts View Post
            I just found another use for the ESP MOD today.

When I was trying to tow someone out of some soft sand, and my vehuicle slid sideways as the recovery was on a slight angle.

The ESP/TC kicked in and got ME stuck. It decided I was out of control and all the brakes came on. This resulted in the smell of a burning clutch. Let's just say I could speak all flavours of colourful language at that stage.

******** YOU CHRYSLER AND YOUR BULLSHIT ********ING SAFETY. YOUR TURNING AN OFF-ROADER INTO A HEAP OF SHIT!!!!!
            They didn't need electronics to do the last part. None of the manufacturers do these days..

Comment

• CrazyNuts
              Don't do it. I'm NUTS!
              • Aug 2003

So how many of you guys have done this mod so far?

What are YOUR thoughts before/after the mod?

Just interested to know.
              ESP/BAS/TC Disable Switch

Comment

• Stevil
                Full Flexer
                • Jun 2007

ESP Mods will be performed when warranty runs, due to hit 100 000k by June.

Steve

Comment

• carvesdodo
                  No Winching
                  • Jan 2008

And if disconnection of these items is not allowed ... does that mean the manufacturers are using ... work one day / not the next ... electronics to overcome failings in vehicle mechanical design ... and that it is govt sanctioned ???.
                  I hate watching simplicity and reliability being ruined by bureaucracy and technology.

Comment

Working...
                  X