• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hemijeepy
    AJOR Bronze
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by MRGC View Post
    Forget to mention its no easy task installing the jk44 diffs, if your not doing it yourself add that to the budget.
    Come on Mrgc........

guys for the sceptics, i might not know all the numbers on diffs ect but i know what sort of a build im taking on... the reason i ask the Q. is the last build i did i did all off my own back and i look back now and will never spend thousands of $$ with out getting other peoples opinions......

Plus this is the 1st 4x4 i have modified i am from the car world (and my charger is my next big project) until 2 yrs ago so forgive my lack of knowledge on the 4x4 front with some things...

i just want to do it properly and once, i dont want to f ark around doing things twice and spending money twice

MRGC i can do most the work my self bar fabricating and i have 2 qualified chassis welders who weld for a living so ill be getting one of them to weld for me.

I dont mind doing the 44 swap if required however if the current diff's would last with 33' and possible a 34 and locked then id keep them obviously the less i have to change the better
    Last edited by hemijeepy; 09-07-2008, 11:52 PM.
    ONE DAY ILL MAKE THE VOICES ALL GO AWAY...................................... One day

Comment

• Steve F
      So play on just play on
      • Dec 2002

Cpage66 has been running long arms on his WJ for years, he's busted the transfercase and CV's but no diff damage (although we thought the front diff was buggered but turns out it was the tcase) He is was going to put in a NP231 with teralow but the input shaft is too short and there isn't enough room for an adapter so I think the current plan was a NP242. Oh and he runs 33's and if you've seen him drive the V8 you'll know he doesn't take it easy

Cheers
      Steve
      Over 5'000 Club

Comment

• burnz
        Full Flexer
        • Feb 2008

Burnz By D/cardon, do u mean i should get the u-joint style or the cv style... Im confussed?? i think i need to ditch the CV style one hey!
        I mean get the u-joint style. I got the Tom Woods conversion from ironrock-came with everything including crush sleeve for pinion and it has 3 u-joints. All WJ's had CV style and its as weak as piss before you lift- only took two mild plus wheelin trips for mine to get noisy and I'm only at 770mm.

Also the high pinion D30's were only fitted to 95/6 XJs I believe. My 96 sport had one and many have been swapped into TJs but I'm sure they were never standard on anything but the XJ. Get High performance Jeep Wrangler TJ Builders Guide and High performance Jeep Cherokee XJ Builders Guide from car tech books. part no's sa109 and sa120- they go into D30's heaps.

Comment

• Steve F
          So play on just play on
          • Dec 2002

Originally posted by burnz View Post
          Also the high pinion D30's were only fitted to 95/6 XJs I believe. My 96 sport had one and many have been swapped into TJs but I'm sure they were never standard on anything but the XJ. Get High performance Jeep Wrangler TJ Builders Guide and High performance Jeep Cherokee XJ Builders Guide from car tech books. part no's sa109 and sa120- they go into D30's heaps.
          Just to add to that all XJ's sold here up until the 2001 model had a high pinion D30 front, so 95-2000.

Cheers
          Steve
          Over 5'000 Club

Comment

• Wooders
            Time to tinker
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by hemijeepy View Post
            so what your saying is that you would run the D30 dave???
            Unless:
            a. you plan to go bigger than 33" or
            b. have $$$ buring a hole in your pocket,
            Yes the Dana30 front is a good pick.....Howeverif you plan to go bigger it IS worthwhile considering going bigger initially rather than polish the turd first.
            Cheers
            Wooders
            www.wooders.com.au
            http://stores.ebay.com.au/Wooders-Jp-Garage

Comment

• hemijeepy
              AJOR Bronze
              • Sep 2006

Not $$ burning a hole but i dont wanna do a half assed job of it... Just like the 1st time i lifted it i wasted my money.. will not make same mistake.

Reality is if i acn get 34's under it im going to want to..... ( again this is not a DD)

So with a locked D30 and 34's prob gonna breaky breaky......
              ONE DAY ILL MAKE THE VOICES ALL GO AWAY...................................... One day

Comment

• OIIIO
                No Winching
                • Aug 2007

Hemi, I hear what your saying.

But, I've been running 35's with a detroit with a bone stock D30.

Same as you, I didn't want to spend money on the 30 because I've always had plans to upgrade when it all goes to shite..

Hasn't happened (yet). I don't give my rig to much grief and drive pretty sympathetically. I have had to change a few axle uni's but that's more from the detroit I reckon.

Anyway back to the point....... 33's (or 34's) wouldn't be a problem IMHO. Maybe spend a few bucks on decent axles (still way cheaper than swapping the whole front). And less drama's with steering, bracketry etc...

Comment

• hemijeepy
                  AJOR Bronze
                  • Sep 2006

humm cool wayne cheers

Wooders ya reckon ill get real bad vibs through the driveline on the 30 though????

Anyone elses thoughts LEXX..... Cpage66

Comment

Working...
                  X