XJ 2.5 TD injector no.1 needle sensor repair step by step with pics.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BrokenJeep
    Senior Newbie
    • Apr 2020

Originally posted by mud_slut View Post
    .06 is correct. i also thought .08 was the correct size and the i cleaned the micrometer and found it to be .06. From memory the amount of .08 wire required to achieve the resistance range for the injection far exceeds the amount to can fit on the bobbin. i cant remember where i picked mine up from but from memory there were shops that stocked scientific products that stocked .06 wire.

im onto maybe my third iteration of building a machine that can rewind those coils. getting the precision required is a bit of a trick but ive got a coil now wound that im going to test in the car this week.

its a bit unfortunate that by design those coils and their thin wire seem prone to failure. im yet to figure out a way to engineer around that.
    I used 2 drills with the right size drillbit to wind mine on but the problem is that you need to count each turn and wind it on like your garden hose so it needs to be done slow and without breaking of corse - very hard. The amount of labour required to repair this you may aswell find another injector or convert the fuel system over. Or in my case - dont water blast the near the fuel system [emoji854]

Does anyone know if converting the fuel pump to manual will mess with the immobilizer?

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Comment

• BrokenJeep
      Senior Newbie
      • Apr 2020

Originally posted by istimat View Post
      Hi Tom,

.08 didn't fit even when wound nicely. The wire in the relay mentioned above was actually around 0.045mm and it fit nicely, in the end the coil is even smaller than factory wound, so yes, I assume 0.06 is the way to go. It seems that a 36v relay would have in theory that thickness of wire.

Anyway, we managed to wind the 0.045 and obtained 105 ohms and today we will try to fit the injector on the car.

The issue is that we bought the car non-running and the no.1 injector wasn't even on the car. It was a regular injector. The fuel pump is also cable driven. I am led to believe that this was also an option. A cable driven pump that still had this injection timing scheme. So basically we won't be able to tell for sure if there isn't another underlying problem.

If it works, I'll post some pictures and tips on how we wound the coil.

Bye,

Istvan
      Hey Istvan

That is strange mate, looking forward to seeing these photos on how you wound the coil. Wouldnt mind seeing some pics of your fuel pump set up too.
      Do you have a plug for the #1 injector sensor? What year is your xj?

Nice work, you got so close with 105ohms! Do you think that winding the .045 wire longer (say 1000 turns) may give less ohms?

Cheers
      Tom

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Comment

• BrokenJeep
        Senior Newbie
        • Apr 2020

Awesome work! One day I will fix this injector.

Injector #1 can be purchased for hundreds of dollars off Amazon.
        I was fortunate enough to get one from a wrecker who sold it for $100.

Daily driving it like it's stolen.

Comment

Working...
        X