• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • K1n9_j4m3s
    I just registered
    • Feb 2015

Jeep patriot 2008 acceleration noise

When I'm steadily accelerating there's a slight grinding noise but stops if I put my foot to the floor also I have another noise when accelerating over 50ks that sounds like a loud vacuum cleaner noise but it disappears as soon as I take my foot off the accelerator. Any suggestions or thoughts on this? Cheers
  • ozjeepster
    It's a JK Thing ;)
    • Jan 2010

If its a manual It is the main and lay shaft bearings in the gearbox one of them is in the process of failing ,you can pull the bearing case cap off on the passenger side to check , there will be fragments of metal building up ,unfortunately the box will have to come out and be stripped to replace them iv had 8 in the last 2 years come in for this ar work most have been low klm compass and patriots that have been driven hard

OIIIIIIIO
    Last edited by ozjeepster; 15-03-2015, 03:02 PM.

Comment

• K1n9_j4m3s
      I just registered
      • Feb 2015

Yeah it's a manual, you reckon the gear box needs changing or just the bearings? Cheers for the info, would it be a big job to take into a garage as in cost some serious money? If so does anybody know a reliable place to go in the Perth area.

Comment

• ozjeepster
        It's a JK Thing ;)
        • Jan 2010

On all of the ones iv done iv only had to replace 2 syncros in one box along with 2nd and 3rd gears as the bearings had fully collapsed alowing the shafts to move away from each other taking the faces & edges of the dog teeth , syncros can also spit the detent ball & spring really easy if driven hard as they are a very light box strength wise , the other boxs had a few popped syncro detents which are easy to put back in & then i just replaced the main shaft bearings & carrier bearings ,give Jeeparts a call and see what you can get a second hand box for off them and then go see a few trans shops and ask how much for an inspection .

OIIIIIIIO

Comment

Working...
        X