• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • XJClassic
    I just registered
    • Nov 2012

Where to tap into the high beam wire?

I'm installing driving lights on my 01 XJ and can't seem to find anywhere under the dash to tap into the high beam circuit or earth to switch the driving lights with std high beam.

I have done a search here and on Google but can't find any reference to its location. Is it so obvious that no-one has ever asked (and I'm stupid enough not to see it?)

Where does everyone tap into for driving lights? Up near the headlight itself? I'm trying to avoid this as I will have to feed wire back all the way from under the dash and I can't see any easy tap in point near the right headlight anyway.

According to the FSM there is a red wire with orange tracer, which I've found in a loom kind-of near the brake pedal area. This wire seems to go to the switch, but it is live all the time (as it when I tap in with my LED test light). Doesn't alter with lights on, ign on etc. I found this colour wire also near the fust box in the footwell, but it doesn't activate my test light at all.

Help!
    10/13 MY14 Grand Cherokee Overland 3.0 CRD
  • Richo
    No Winching
    • Nov 2004

Pull the plug off the back of the headlight and solder a switching wire in there.
    Originally posted by Das_Colonel
    Yeah no need to be rude yeti, I'm not a total novice

Comment

• darksidecustoms
      MudSplasher
      • Oct 2009

I tapped mine into the loom that goes to the indicator stalk under the drivers side dash. Can't recall what colour but your year's factory service manual will have the wiring diagrams (and therefore colours).
      98 XJ Sport 4.0L / Intake & Exhaust / Taurus Fan / 3" OME Lift / 31x10.5 Silverstone / HID & LEDs

Comment

• Tuffeb
        Full Flexer
        • Jun 2012

i tapped in from engine bay as my relays are all near my battery

in the nose cone the main loom that runs from pasanger side over to drivers side light, i tapped in there, ran the wire thorugh into engine bay with a plug attatched so it can be undone if i remove the nose cone assembly

ran it to the trigger wire on my relay.

Comment

• rainman
          Rock Munki
          • Mar 2008

Tap in at the head light, run it straight to the relay. Run the single earth from the relay to a switch on the dash, then run a wire from the switch to earth.
          So you actually switch the earth side rather than the +ve.
          No mucking around in the loom at all & only one wire going through the fire wall.
          Hth.
          Good luck with it.
          Last edited by rainman; 25-06-2013, 08:04 PM.
          Obd1 scanner.
          '95 sport,4.6 stroker, 4.5" lift, 32"s, 4:10's, 8.25&SYE, taurus fan

Comment

• mud_slut
            Full Flexer
            • Apr 2012

2nd the headlight plug tap easy to find and only have two other wires to accidentally cut.. Behind the steering wheel could be complicated and wiring could be different per model
            1999 2.5 Tdi XJ

Comment

• wes
              AJOR Gold
              • Sep 2009

On my TJ, I pulled the connector off the back of the headlight, pushed the bare (white)wire in the connector slot (for highbeam) and pushed the connector back on.
              The connector needed a real good push to go back on so it's not going to fall off in a hurry.
              Attached Files
              Check out my TJ stuff for sale:
              http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=111468

Comment

• XJClassic
                I just registered
                • Nov 2012

Thanks guys, tapping in at the headlight it is, by the looks.

I have a Narva plug and play loom that I had on another vehicle that was easy to find a trigger for under the dash, but clearly that isn't happening on the XJ. There is enough trigger wire on the Narva loom to feed it back towards the front.

I have checked that FSM wiring diagram again, puzzling over why what should be the high beam wire is always live though... clearly that isn't the right wire.
                10/13 MY14 Grand Cherokee Overland 3.0 CRD

Comment

Working...
                X