• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • narly
    Established Member
    • Apr 2003

Leaking diesel - overflow ?

I'm having issues in that everytime I fill up I get diesel dripping from under the tank . I'm not overfilling , stopping at first click of the nozzle . Pain in the bum because as I'm travelling it gets sucked back and up the tailgate and over the front of the van . messy
    DUST: Mud with the juice squeezed out.
  • bodgie
    Rock Munki
    • Aug 2009

Mine does that when it is hot and I have a load onboard and fill it to the brim. Only seems to happen when I put the cap back on the tank, the fuel must expand and push out the overflow.

Jason

Comment

• narly
      Established Member
      • Apr 2003

This has never happened until this trip & I've done this trip before with identical conditions . confuzzled .

Comment

• drover
        MonsterMoose
        • Apr 2005

If you jack up the body so the wheel hangs you can look in the left hand wheel arch and see the fuel lines where they go into the tank and make sure there's not a leak there, also some have mentioned that the CRD has a vent cap, not sure myself but it could be blocked by dirt/dust which would pressurize things. Never had leaks from mine even when I've filled it to the brim.
        2015 WK2 Laredo(ZG, WG)
        Never too old to learn something stupid

Comment

• narly
          Established Member
          • Apr 2003

Thank's Drover , I'll have a look when I get home.

Comment

• Bomber
            Jeepin' is incurable....
            • Aug 2004

The fuel tank on those splits at the top, ours did. Took us ages to find out why the leak only when full. Crack on seam line wasn't visible until tank dropped from car. You'll need to remember a "rock you hit on the trail one day" to get it replaced under insurance if that's the cause .
            WK2 2013 Trailhawk
            VJ2 4-63 1948 Jeepster
            MJOC

Comment

• narly
              Established Member
              • Apr 2003

Jeez Bomber , didn't want to hear that. Liked drover's answer better

Comment

• bodgie
                Rock Munki
                • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                The fuel tank on those splits at the top, ours did. Took us ages to find out why the leak only when full. Crack on seam line wasn't visible until tank dropped from car. You'll need to remember a "rock you hit on the trail one day" to get it replaced under insurance if that's the cause .
                Looks like this may be the issue with mine, was under it today and there is diesel all over the joint. Looks like I'll be dropping the tank shortly.

Bugger!

Comment

Working...
                X