Bilstein 5100 & Dobinsons 2" lift install.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • timbotrog
    Lowranger Shocker
    • Jul 2007

Bilstein 5100 & Dobinsons 2" lift install.

Well my shocks finally arrived today. It has taken a while for them to come through.

I also installed new spring isolators top and bottom all round. It drives noticably smoother and a little quiter. Far more civilized over speed humps.

It has lost its "Car" like handling, but then again I don't need to go around corners like Webber!

It's supposed to be a 40mm coil lift, but at the moment it's at least 50mm, possibly a little over that. I haven't measured it yet. It will settle over the next few days.

In the US, quite a few WJ owners use 10mm spacers int he front springs to "level" the Jeep out after the same lift. I will have a look at it in a few weeks.
    Attached Files
    sigpicI'm interested in apathy.
    2014 Anvil JKU Rubicon
  • HighOutput
    Established Member
    • Jan 2012

Looks real good! Re Bilsteins, did you need to add additional nuts and bolts? Also, is everything underneath still stock eg;track bar/SS/swaybar?

I should get in touch with Kolak and ask how my order is progressing.

Comment

• Tiddy
      CrawlerStar
      • May 2011

Great news Tim & a test of anyone's patience.....I agree about the lift though, when I put my Dobinsons in it was closer to a 50mm lift, but that will settle.

Interesting comment about the front spacers, I may have to consider that one too.

So how does it ride, the US sites fairly rave about the 5100's & yeah yo do notice a bit of difference during cornering, but nothing to upset over.

tiddy

Comment

• timbotrog
        Lowranger Shocker
        • Jul 2007

Tiddy, the ride is very smooth. this may sound funny, but I will have to get used to it being so smooth. I also learnt a very good lesson about removal of the sway bar links, (something I have never done before), remove the bolt from the top, not the bottom bolt. So much easier to get back in that way.

Drop Nick an email Highoutput, they couldn't be too far away. Everything else is stock underneath. BUT, after having a really good play under there I am wondering about either JKS quicker disco's for the front or just extended front links.
        2014 Anvil JKU Rubicon

Comment

• Troutman
          Full Flexer
          • May 2003

Looks good Tim. I recently fitted the Bilsteins from Kolak to my WJ Laredo and whilst the ride & handling is OK I would not say it's much if at all improved over the OME Nitrochargers they replaced. I was surprised by this.
          MY15 WK2 CRD Laredo

Comment

• HighOutput
            Established Member
            • Jan 2012

Any updates? Still riding smooth? No clunks and wobbles?

Comment

• valpacer
              RubiconSlammer
              • Mar 2006

Looks Great Tim! Its always amazing how much difference a new set of isolators will make to ride!
              AAW 4x4 Inc - All American Wheeling -
              JKU Dragon

Comment

• timbotrog
                Lowranger Shocker
                • Jul 2007

Ok, it will be two weeks tomorrow since the install and so far I am loving it.

On the highway up to Jamieson it was a very smooth ride, but I have a feeling a beefier steering stabilizer is on the card, probably a Moog Super Trail Boss. The steering is a bit vague at times as opposed to how sharp it was originally.

I did have a few "squeaks" from the rear after the install initially. But during the install of the lift, I discovered a huge build up of mud/clay from a training day a few months earlier in the lower control arms. After a quick clean with a screwdriver and a pressure washer the noise was gone.The old spring isolators had seen better days, but being from the colder climates that was probably to be expected. I must say they are good to change whilst the springs are out.

I have done 2 MJOC trips since the lift, a weekender up to Mt. Skene, Mt. Terrible and the areas surrounding Jamieson in the Victorian High Country as well as a day around Cobaw State Forest.

It has performed flawlessly. On the drive up to Mt. Skene, I had a factory standard 2 door JK CRD in front of me who got stuck in the snow twice. I would say that was due to either a lack of lift or the standard tyres. I just used a little right foot ;P and kept going.

I got hooked up once in Cobaw on the front diff but a shovel and a few minutes took care of that. That was me taking the wrong line through a deent size drop off.

So all is great now. I believe that OME, (ARB), make a 10mm spacer for the front shocks, but I have to find out if it replaces the top isolators or they sit under it. 4X4 show this weekend in Melbourne so I'll ask then.

I also installed new Whispbar HD roof racks on Friday, adds another 40mm to the height. I'm now at 2.05m to the top of the Rola Vortex cage. I now have to look before I go into carparks ;P
                2014 Anvil JKU Rubicon

Comment

Working...
                X