• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zacc01
    I just registered
    • Aug 2011

Help me and my diffs

So,

I have been saving up for some mods for my zj and started geting some whining from the diffs a few weeks ago. Took it in for a check up and was told my bearings where gone in the rear and my crown and pinion in the front. I was quoted $990 for the rear and $1350 for the front. He reckons the axels might need replacing and has included this in his price

There goes my lift kit and tyres. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do. I might as well upgrade while im at it but any ideas would be appriciated.
    Big plans, Little money!
  • zacc01
    I just registered
    • Aug 2011

Let me also ad my mechanical skills are limited and diffs are way out of my league.
    Big plans, Little money!

Comment

• AJ CJ5
      Full Flexer
      • Apr 2005

get another quote, where are you located? Shop around mate. Its still going to cost you but..
      1970 Jeep CJ5
      2017 Grand Chero 3.0
      2007 Holden Calais 6.0
      2018 Harley-Davidson FXFBS

Comment

• turbomart
        SwampDigger
        • Nov 2006

Rear wheel bearings run on axles so hes right axels will be stuffed.
        Best option if you are gunna wheel it hard is dump the whole diff & put in a TJ one as they are much stronger & use tapered roller bearings.
        Otherwise get stronger Alloy USA axels from states their cheaper than stock A/mkt ones.
        Front is unlikely to be ring & pinion, probably just bearings or CV joints.
        I used to be indecisive but now Im not so sure!!!

Comment

• drover
          MonsterMoose
          • Apr 2005

Many moons ago when I had a ZG my diffs started to make a racket so I changed the oil, noise went away, thankfully, as at first all I saw was big $$.
          If the bearings are shot you will hear a constant rumbling with the whine.
          2015 WK2 Laredo(ZG, WG)
          Never too old to learn something stupid

Comment

• Doc
            CrawlerStar
            • Jan 2012

Well said drover
            I drove an old Benz with whining bearings for 3 years only when I couldn't hear the radio got them fixed I used some roil platinum in the diff when it first started getting noisy changed the oil and added the Roil they all said it wouldn't last

Comment

• AJ CJ5
              Full Flexer
              • Apr 2005

Just dropped the oil in mine over the weekend hoping fresh oil would help. It didn't. Mine does not sound like a constant rumble of worn bearings, its only when i back off at 100kph. While i had the cover off and in the air i noticed a little slop in the centre section where the little sun gear sits on the pin. Rocking back and forth I could see movement.
              Fresh oil with postpone my inevitable rebuild..
              1970 Jeep CJ5
              2017 Grand Chero 3.0
              2007 Holden Calais 6.0
              2018 Harley-Davidson FXFBS

Comment

• Hunno
                RubiconSlammer
                • Aug 2009

Originally posted by turbomart View Post
                Best option if you are gunna wheel it hard is dump the whole diff & put in a TJ one as they are much stronger & use tapered roller bearings.
                Agreed get a Dana44 for the rear from a TJ & a XJ High Pinion front diff. Then get an XJ or TJ transfer case(straight swap) to make it 2wd. Saves fuel.
                Originally posted by turbomart View Post
                Otherwise get stronger Alloy USA axels from states their cheaper than stock A/mkt ones.
                Don't waste your money polishing the Turd!!!
                I Hate it when the Voices in my head go silent...
                I never know what those F#<kers are planning...

Comment

Working...
                X