• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wanderer
    Full Flexer
    • Apr 2008

Front Half Shaft Boot Clamp Loose

There are a number of reports on several US forums about potentially dangerous grease from the front drive shafts leaks and grease found on the disc brakes. This ls one from JeepGarage:

Apparently there are a few reported failures with front shaft seals and or CV joint boots. First sign is a lot of grease inside the front wheels and around the shaft and front suspension. Build dates around Feb/March 2014 look like the most affected. Hopefully not too many, and ours looks fine, but please check and make sure as a failure could have major consequences!
    Found this TSB: Front Half Shaft Boot Clamp Loose.

This bulletin involves replacing both front half shafts. This bulletin applies to vehicles built between March 2, 2014 and April 21, 2014.

Anyone had this problem??

I was at my Jeep dealer yesterday had he told me my VIN was one and they had ordered the parts.
    Last edited by Wanderer; 05-07-2014, 10:58 AM.
    My WK2 Trailhawk, Laredo & Commander

sigpic
  • Benn0
    RubiconSlammer
    • Feb 2013

Whoops 2 Oz members have seen this now, I think I have avoided the problem, my build date was January.

Here's what to look for:

The clamps around the boot are loose (there are line marks on the boots that should line up, if it's shifted the boot is loose), the whole assembly has to be replaced. Looks like parts availability is a problem.
    MY14 GC LTD CRD-ORA2/QL|Mopar 18" Night Fever Rims&RockRails|Chief Hooks&Sump Plate|STMaxx 275/65R18

Comment

• Wanderer
      Full Flexer
      • Apr 2008

Here are some Aussie suffers: http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/loose...-gc-76792.html

sigpic

Comment

• Rocksfly
        Established Member
        • Jan 2014

2nd of. March through 21st April. Affected. Possibly 60,000 vehicles world wide.
        My vehicle is having both front axles replaced on Tuesday.

Comment

• Wanderer
          Full Flexer
          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Rocksfly View Post
          2nd of. March through 21st April. Affected. Possibly 60,000 vehicles world wide.
          My vehicle is having both front axles replaced on Tuesday.
          Mine soon too..Going down on Monday so hopefully then also rear shocky mounts to stop the low speed "Chuckle" as the Yanks call it..I call it an annoying clunking..Also having them look at the detonation knock re:TSB 18-019-14.

sigpic

Comment

• Rocksfly
            Established Member
            • Jan 2014

Hey Wanderer what model JGC and are u running selfleveling or Quadralift.
            Good luck with the replacements
            Cheers

Comment

• Wanderer
              Full Flexer
              • Apr 2008

Steel suspension & about to get the ARB 2" lift so need the new mounts first. Went for steel so I could fit bigger tyres and I didn't like the way the QuaradLIft automatically lowers above set speeds when offroad on OR1 & OR2..Rather have fixed height on tracks like the Simpson.
              Last edited by Wanderer; 29-07-2014, 03:46 PM.

sigpic

Comment

• Rocksfly
                Established Member
                • Jan 2014

Wanderer, there is a good little gadget out that gives the driver control over the Quadralift. If I can find it I'll put up a link. Cheers

Comment

Working...
                X