R2d2.....jgc road trip ex tassie to top end and wa.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rocksfly
    Established Member
    • Jan 2014

R2d2.....jgc road trip ex tassie to top end and wa.

Hey Folks.
    Been posting regarding Uneek 4x4 accessories installed.
    3 hoop Bull Bar. Rocks sliders. Bash plate and slimline roof rack.
    Posted some fuel usage details also.

As we are on a 12000kms plus trip I thought I would start a new thread and post pics periodically. Will also advise any issues with my MY14 Grand Cherokee.

Camped up in Renmark SA for three nights fuel consumption out of Melbourne was 11.5,by the time we got to Coober Pedy it was 12.5
    Headwinds and 110kms touring speed full payload, roof top pod and pulling camper trailer.
    By the time we got to Ayers Rock we were at 13.3,again head winds and more 40 plus heat. Driving around Yulara without the camper trailer on we are back down to 11.5
    Hooking up and heading north tomorrow for Barrow Creek.

Temps rise going up Hills.

Wife hit 146 taking a three trailer road train, pod trailer all good but Temps shoot up in 40C when the vehicle is pushed.

R2D2 cruises at 120kms just above half temp, smooth as silk.

Air-conditioning working as it should.

Replaced front axles have not thrown any more grease, although they will be replaced again at second service.

Bull bar, rocksliders and slim line roof rack from Uneek 4x4 all spot on.

LED light bar is great out here in central Australia. The two 10 watt work lights shooting rearwards are great for setting up in the dark.

All in all, this is the best tug I have ever driven and the wife and I are much less anxious after putting R2D2 thru it's paces.

Will post some pics this evening, when the wife relinquishes possession of her laptop.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Rocksfly; 19-12-2014, 06:09 PM.
  • Tyvokka
    Jedi Master
    • Jan 2011

Sounds like an epic trip. Look fwd to more stories n piccies.

I went 140 once, overtook a truck at Monaro HWay, only to be jumped on by a pootrol car. Speed lmt was 100 and I had been stuck behind him for 25 minutes doing 40-60 kays. That was 11 yrs ago, but.

$576, 6 points, 3 months being chauffeured.
    sigpicGrand Wookie Jedi
    Rrrrrrrr-aghhhh!
    http://youtu.be/e8aEDaeBMyI

Comment

• Benn0
      RubiconSlammer
      • Feb 2013

I'm watching this thread!
      MY14 GC LTD CRD-ORA2/QL|Mopar 18" Night Fever Rims&RockRails|Chief Hooks&Sump Plate|STMaxx 275/65R18

Comment

• Rocksfly
        Established Member
        • Jan 2014

Last Pic for now R2D2 with Olgas

Forgot to mention.....

Came out of Woolies at Renmark to find Trailhawk MY14 near by and another Granite coloured MY14 Lmt sitting along side me.

Glendambo there were four MY14 JGC's including us. Seems everywhere we go JGC's park up along side.

Erldunda 2 X JGC's

Yulara Ive seen two JGC's and a few Cherokee.

Hopefully I'll be able to post some pics up around Mataranka Springs, if not Merry Christmas to all. Will be having a seafood buffet at Darwin Seafood on Cullen for our Christmas and my 14 year old son and I are doing a fishing trip 20 ks out off Darwin, so we should be able to get some pristine shots of R2D2 up north as the wet comes on. Already rained in Ayers Rock twice since we arrived.

Cheers Folks and drive safe.

Rocksfly
        Attached Files

Comment

• Rocksfly
          Established Member
          • Jan 2014

130 kms zone NT

Originally posted by JeepinGrandWranga View Post
          Sounds like an epic trip. Look fwd to more stories n piccies.

I went 140 once, overtook a truck at Monaro HWay, only to be jumped on by a pootrol car. Speed lmt was 100 and I had been stuck behind him for 25 minutes doing 40-60 kays. That was 11 yrs ago, but.

$576, 6 points, 3 months being chauffeured.
          LOL!

Sometime you just got to get past a road train quickly, especially with strong crosswinds and the third trailer wiping back and forth across the centerline.

Good to see the speed limit pushed up to 130km since they changed it from an open speed limit down to 110/100 years ago. With the slower speed limit they were having to many accidents.

Cheers.

Comment

• anthonygubbin
            MonsterMoose
            • Feb 2010

Mataranka IMO is shit.....and overrated way too many bats and it stinks. There are thermal springs at the back of Katherine and its beautiful. Also there are more thermal springs as you head further north in some of the rain forests. You just look for the signs that will take you slightly off the highway. I will do the trip again one day myself. Maybe with a passenger though next time. And not in a Torana either.

Regards A
            Lay down with dogs and you will wake up with fleas; scratching the surface not treating the disease. Over 5'000 Club

Comment

• Burmonster
              CrawlerStar
              • Aug 2009

good luck on your trip, sounds good

Comment

• Treebreakerbob
                Full Flexer
                • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Rocksfly View Post

Temps rise going up Hills.

Wife hit 146 taking a three trailer road train, pod trailer all good but Temps shoot up in 40C when the vehicle is pushed.
                Its well documented over on caravaners forum that JGC temp gauges actually work unlike lots of other makes that don't move until crisis point. If you can get a readout of the temp in degs then the rise in temp is not that much and unless it goes into the red then there is no real problem

Bob

Comment

Working...
                X