Can I snatch off ARB bar? It's got a winch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mowerman
    Established Member
    • May 2005

Can I snatch off ARB bar? It's got a winch.

Hey all, have a ARB bar on the Wrangler and a few folks have been saying I should not be snatching off one of the recovery points? Need to use at least a little strap/chain between the 2 recovery points on the bar so it's lined up. They tell me it could stretch the chassis?
    Never gave it a thought when I owned other vehicles, Patrols, Toyotas.
  • Clarky
    Irok Bandit
    • Apr 2012

Officially the recovery points you refer to are tow points & are not intended or designed to take the stresses of a snatch recovery. Try Uneek, I think they sell what your after.
    sigpic SOLD 06 Limited G/C QuadraDrive II Lovells 2"Lift +30 rims 265/70/17 Imported Saguaro Bar Stedi

Comment

• mustang67
      I just registered
      • Jun 2011

Try an equalising strap aka tree trunk protector. It will even the load irrespective of the bar you have

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      If it's going to be, it's up to me

Comment

• Mals-JK

you can use a Bridle.

Comment

• NTRubicon
          AJOR Gold
          • Feb 2013

Where possible snatch a joining strap to even the load on the chassis rails, but if you have a winch you shouldn't need to rely on a snatch recovery very often

ARB won't back their points because they could be liable if they do and something goes wrong.

Comment

• Hayesio
            CrawlerStar
            • Mar 2014

When snatching, it's always good practice to center the load on the chassis to minimise the potential for structual damage. Tow hitch is always the best place to snatch from. That said, I think it would be extremely unlikely that you would damage this vehicle. I have a ARB bar and it's built like a brick sh*thouse. I think if you where doing light to medium snaches from the reco points it would be fine.
            sigpic
            Follow us across Australia https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqy...zG8C-c7zERG1Dw

Comment

• TJ65
              • May 2008

Originally posted by mustang67 View Post
              Try an equalising strap aka tree trunk protector. It will even the load irrespective of the bar you have

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
              If you use an equaling strap and some commonsense you should be right. Just dont take off at 100mph and expect it to be right. As stated by other ARB doesn't rate their points as recovery and I'm told its because of airbag compliance in the off chance you bend something. Just take it easy
              If a shortcut wasn't challenging, it would be called the way.

Comment

• LeighP
                Lowranger Shocker
                • Mar 2014

I agree...a bridle is a good idea. Spreads the pull evenly.

Comment

Working...
                X