• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wjlimited
    Established Member
    • Jan 2012

Wh Hemi coolant hoses

Hey guys my WH overland has just split one of the coolant hoses going into the fire wall. This is the second time in 10000 Klms, I replaced both of them last time with genuine parts.

Is it just horrible luck or has it happened to others?

330 bucks to tow it home again.
  • DarrenR
    CrawlerStar
    • May 2010

Originally posted by wjlimited View Post
    Hey guys my WH overland has just split one of the coolant hoses going into the fire wall. This is the second time in 10000 Klms, I replaced both of them last time with genuine parts.

Is it just horrible luck or has it happened to others?

330 bucks to tow it home again.
    Is this on a V8? and the split on the passenger side halfway between the engine and the firewall?

If so, then yes seems to relatively common, BUT...
    Not to have to replace it AGAIN in 10K, I'd expect another 100K before needing doing again.

some things to check...
    *Is the new hose split or rubbed though?
    *Are there any signs of maybe excess pressure (just throwing something out there) as in other leaks anywhere?
    *Is there flow through the heater pipes, as in maybe a blockage in the heater core?

Regards
    Daz

P.S yes, I see "hemi" now...
    sigpic

Comment

• wjlimited
      Established Member
      • Jan 2012

Yep thats the one

The heater works as it should so I can only assume there is no blockage, isn't anything there to rub on. The first one lasted 93000 klms so you were spot on with the 100k kilometers comment haha.

The only two times its ever gotten hot is when these pipes have let go, both times I picked it up when it is still spewing coolant so no long term damage I hope.
      Doesn't use any water/oil or blow any smoke and it pulls like a drunk teenager so I don't think there is any cylinder pressure in the cooling system(Blown head gasket).

Comment

• DarrenR
        CrawlerStar
        • May 2010

Ok I've been pondering this for a bit....

This is all just a thought..
        *I cant see the heat shield on the exhaust manifold?
        *I also cant see one of the exhaust manifold studs? (the last one at the top back of the manifold)
        *If the shield is missing and there is a missing or broken exhaust manifold stud, there could be excess radiated heat coming from the manifold and perhaps a slightly leaky manifold.

Its worth a second look and maybe some closer pics of the split hose.

Regards
        Daz
        sigpic

Comment

• wjlimited
          Established Member
          • Jan 2012

Went out and had another look,

Exhaust shield and studs are all present.

Now looking at the split close up it almost looks like a Stanley blade has cut it, but it came to me as two loose pipes in a box so I didn't cut it.

What do you think? I'll be happy if it turns out to be a cut pipe as I have already ordered a replacement. But if my 9 years of owning various Jeeps has taught me anything it's probably something else.

Comment

• DarrenR
            CrawlerStar
            • May 2010

Bummer, I thought I was onto something there...

Yes that split looks rather like a cut more than anything else, replace the hose set (or just that hose) and go again...

Regards
            Daz
            sigpic

Comment

• wjlimited
              Established Member
              • Jan 2012

Just going to replace the one, but keep one of each as spares at home.

Thanks for your help Darren much appreciated.

Comment

• JamesLaugesen
                Full Flexer
                • Jan 2012

Yeah looks like a cut to me, guess someone got too excited cutting a box open.
                Haven't heard about those hoses being a common failure(?), mine have ~130kkm on them and look & feel fine (touch wood.).
                I've also added a fuse/relay box and lots of wiring in that space which don't show any signs of excess heat or anything particularly harsh.
                Last edited by JamesLaugesen; 05-04-2016, 11:20 AM. Reason: typo :(

Comment

Working...
                X