• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lmart
    I just registered
    • May 2018

2013 Diesel overland no start problem! HELP

Hi guys, new comer here first time posting, sorry if this has been covered but im a little desperate!

My 2013 JC CRD overland is having a no start problem which has now gone on for over 2 months with no solution

The issue: foot on brake, press start button and nothing. Dash lights up, radio, everything comes on. Brake pedal becomes hard as a rock and engine wont turn over. Theres no indication the engine is even trying to start, is almost like the computer is restricting it from starting all together. Leave the car over night and it'll start the next morning! (made it easy for the tow truck driver to get it to jeep service centre)

The "fixes":
    1. Jeep dealership diagnosed a burnt out fuel pump, replaced after a 4 week back order and $2800 cost to me! Exact problem came back 1 week later
    2. Jeep have removed paintwork to allow better ECU earth connection- problem back next day.
    3. Cleaned terminals and found 'bad' connection behind starter motor-problem back again that evening

My question is, has anyone had this happen before? does anyone know of a fix?! Aside from the fact i've paid $3k for a fuel pump i didn't need, the jeep service centre have no clue where to look next. I've heard stories of bad TIPM causing this issue but jeep hesitant to replace this as its a $2500 part

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • bjm
    Lowranger Shocker
    • Jun 2009

There are numerous posts re TIPM problems regarding 2011-2013 JGC, The initial problem will cause intermittent start problems plus many other random electrical problems.The fault lay in internal relays that were in the TIPM slowly
    dying.The first relay to go kaput was the fuel pump relay .The FCA fix was to put an external relay wired into the TIPM. Check to see if recall has been done on you vehicle.A local auto electrician could even do it.Your Jeep dealer should have been fully aware of this problem and the cheap fix .There are cheap external relay wiring kits ex USA or google online re JGC TIPM fixes.There is also an USA firm who will repair the TIPM with new internal relays much cheaper than a new one.If it is the TIPM relay problem ask for your money back as they should have known the cheap fix to start with.!!
    NB There was a mandatory worldwide recall for this problem RCP09-15.However some owners said the cheap external relay fix still did not totally fix the problem.If this is the case FCA must supply a new TIPM foc. Google all the info and then start asking the dealer for answers.If getting nowhere ring FCA .Remember this was a mandatory world wide safety recall.
    Last edited by bjm; 06-05-2018, 06:56 AM.

Comment

• Methamon
      CrawlerStar
      • Aug 2013

Comment

• layback40
        Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner
        • Jan 2011

Its hard to offer help when you dont even bother saying in your info where you are.
        98&01XJVMs,06&07KJCRD's,No longer question authority,I annoy it.More effect,less effort.10000Club

Comment

• Lmart
          I just registered
          • May 2018

Thanks for you replies guys!
          I’m pretty well researched on the TIPM and it’s fixes. From my understanding the global recal applied to 2012/13 petrol models, meaning mine never had this done, am I correct in this?
          The dealership are telling me they have done the external fuel pump relay when they did the pump itself, I haven’t had it back long enough to open the bonnet. Regardless of this I won’t rest until they put a whole new TIPM in
          I have an open case with FCA and am awaiting a case manager to be assigned within the next 2 days, I hope this will yield some results / refund$$
          Aside from the TIPM does anyone have any other clue as to what could be causing it not to start?? On Monday I will be having them look into the brake switch, imobiliser and WIN module
          Thanks!

Comment

• Lmart
            I just registered
            • May 2018

Sorry Layback! I’m in Sydney

Comment

• bjm
              Lowranger Shocker
              • Jun 2009

I presume you have read the US companies Vertical Visions web site.?Plenty of info re this problem and repair options.This was a mandatory safety related recall , the problem has even occurred when owners driving vehicle,with not very pleasant results!! I am sure the the recall was for both petrol and diesel model TIPMs 2011 -13 There are a numbers of Aust diesel WK ( also on many Jeep forums) owners in the years mentioned who received the RO9 recall letter.I would be very careful giving dealer go ahead to check the other items unless they are prepared to reimburse you if TIPM is responsible .As I said previously there are other system failures that can be related to the TIPM relay problems.
              Last edited by bjm; 06-05-2018, 02:11 PM.

Comment

• Lmart
                I just registered
                • May 2018

Thanks mate. I have read the vertical visions TIPM solutions. My understanding from reading http://m.australiancar.reviews/revie...erokee&gen=483 is that my particular model was not recalled. To my knowledge the TIPM was never replaced, I never took it in for a TIPM recall. The dealership have told me they replaced the fuel pump relay when doing the pump, but my understanding is that the TIPM can progressively kill itself meaning the whole thing needs to be replaced? I am hopeful my case with FCA will yield something in the way of a new TIPM and reimbursement for the difference, but I’m not holding my breath!

I can’t see any other info online about other possible causes for this problem? I have been positive My issue has been TIPM related all along but the dealership aren’t having a bar of it. If I wasn’t in the hole for $3k with them I’d be taking it elsewhere. I have not received any commincation from the service manager during the whole process. I’ve had to call at least 5 times a day and leave just as many messages to even get through to him. Never in my life have I experienced such terrible service

I won’t be authorizing any further works until hearing from FCA / getting assurance any works will be at no cost to me (I haven’t paid for anything since the fuel pump) At this stage I’m happy driving around in my loaned alpha Romeo while they check and clean connections under the hood hoping for a quick fix

Comment

Working...
                X