Extending the life of a KJ, is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • glend
    AJOR Silver
    • Sep 2007

Extending the life of a KJ, is it worth it?

So often we are seeing folks ask "is this KJ worth buying, or keeping; often the answer is no. Mostly it is simple economics. These vehicles are not rare enough, or old enough, to be appreciating in value, ever, well maybe if you had one in pristine condition 20 years from now, but who would buy it. Collectors items they are not.
    So it comes down to the utility they provide you now, against the cost of keeping it going.
    As I implied in my thread on restoring or rebuilding, you are not going to get value for money from that sort of project, but you could get a very useful vehicle that could last many more years. Just don't think you will be able to rock up to trade it on a new car and find the work you did is not worth anything; Blue Book price is all they care about and as Layback has pointed out its getting close to part-out value.

But if you love the one you have, there are certainly things you can do to keep it going, without spending a small fortune. Here are a few to think about:

1. Change the oil and filter. If you have another, new vehicle, you might notice the oil change interval might be yearly now, that would not work for KJs, especially CRDs. Soot particle suspension in the oil acts as an abrasive on internal parts, these vehicles need regular oil and filter changes. Try 8000km max.

2. Clean the electronic sensors that you can get to, like the MAP (aka Boost Control sensor), the MAF in the air filter neck. A small bottle of sensor cleaner is all you need (Don't try to clean them with petrol etc).

3. Change the fuel filter at least every two years.
    4. Change the Air Filter when you change the oil or at least annually. Big cities clog up air filters fast compared to country use.

These first four don't cost much at all.

Consider a transmission service: fluid flush, new filters (there are two), replace fluid with new correct spec fluid. If you DIY this it will cost about $250, a tranny service place might charge you a grand and may not use the right spec fluid. Do this every two years if you can.

These steps will give you a good start in extending the life of the vehicle imho.

I am sure other folks would add a few suggestions as well.
    Last edited by glend; 26-07-2019, 09:58 AM.
  • BeagleCamper
    Established Member
    • Jul 2006

I decided to extend mine's life - time will tell if it was a good decision! I agree with Glen, it is essentially about economics.
    I've had mine since new, Provent fitted from new. My servicing has been pretty much as Glen has above with regular oil & filter changes, transmission every 50K km (tow a camper a fair bit), clean sensors regularly.
    I have used mine a lot as a touring holiday vehicle mostly towing camper except for the desert trips. Taken the camper to Cape York twice (via OTT); simpson desert 4 times, Canning stock route last year. Now have 225,000 km, runs well & does not burn oil.
    At the end of the Canning trip last year at 210,000 km needed some new bushes front end, new front shocks, front discs & pads, rear pads, couple of tyres (no timing belt as done at 150K with new water pump). With servicing, estimated cost was close to $8K to rebuild front end + other bits. Decision to spend $8K on probably a $5K car in that condition or $50K and move on to a ute based 4WD?
    It's been garaged since new, capable as you know, great size so decided to spend the dollars. Have to say it drives like new again though the ride seems a bit firm with new shocks compared to the 200,000 km ones!
    One month after doing work had to replace crank sensor, stranded and had to use stealership so another $1600 spent.
    If I can get another few years of relatively trouble free driving I will feel I've had good value from extending it's life.
    Happy Camper!

Comment

• indiedog
      Full Flexer
      • Dec 2008

Is it worth it? Comes down to dollars and doing it yourself.

I've had "Banjo" (named by the kids during a road trip after one of the dinosaurs found near Winton) since new and I know him pretty well. I'd be lucky to get $5K for him and I could not get another car set up as it is for under $50K. Never been crashed so body is in almost original nick. I know what's been done and what needs to be done to "Banjo". I'd be mad to sell him. Now got 245000km on him and I'd like him to get to 400000.

He's a great sized vehicle that is economical to drive and does everything I want a car to do. I still enjoy driving him after more than 16 years. Only slight hassle is he's getting a bit squishy for my 3 growing kids. We intend to swap over to the WG (Matilda, after another dinosaur.....) at some point (don't tell Banjo!) for touring etc but money to spend on that before it can happen.

At this point it adds up economically to keep him as running cost plus maintenance (performed mostly by me) cost less than interest and depreciation on a new ride. Plus I don't have to find the capital for the new one. So Banjo will be in the family for quite a while yet.
      http://www.arcoeco.com.au

Comment

• layback40
        Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner
        • Jan 2011

Is it worth it?
        I guess the question is can you find a good cheap 4X4 with the capability of the KJ? There were 2 things that attracted me, the price & the power/torque of the CRD. I well know about the issues with exhaust valves, I have one with the problem & are slowly fixing it. Most that have failed were not stock standard, chipped or a tune. I think that tells us something.
        If all else fails I still have a couple of XJ diesels in the shed, 1 is reg, have not had problems with parts for it & its older than the KJ's.
        98&01XJVMs,06&07KJCRD's,No longer question authority,I annoy it.More effect,less effort.10000Club

Comment

Working...
        X