X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MarksJeep
    • Dec 2009

"Low Oil Pressure"

Hi all. Got a "low oil pressure" problem on my 07 Diesel JK Wrangler (manual). Occured when I took it to a mechanic for a 40,000 service - it is out of warranty and my closest dealer is 900km away.

It first started when the mechanic was running the car after the service. The oil light would come on for about 5 or so seconds and then go off for a while. They thought it was the oil, which was a 5W30 Mobil 1 as recommended by Mobil. So they drained the oil and put in a 0W40, after he rang the last mechanic to find out what they put in. Same problem again, and this is the point at which I heard there was a problem. I spoke to my nearest dealer and asked them what they use, and also asked how to tell if i have a DPF (partifulcate filter) fitted, and he said all the diesels do. So the oil was then drained overnight and put in a low ash 5W30 Mobil 1 full synthetic, which resulted in the same problem.

So, we then tried to get the pressure sensor off to attach a gauge to check if the oil pressure was fine or not. Unfortunately we couldn't get the sensor off without a modified socket, so we put the car back together and parted ways as there was nothing more that mechanic could do for me, and he was a d1ckhead.

I then took it to another mechanic who had a scan tool that could read the computer and found that it was throwing up P0524 code, which confirmed it was for "low oil pressure". I can't see how those previous two oils could have done any damage to anything given they are so similar and werent in the car long, we felt it was unlikely there was a mechanical problem. Plus, the car sounds and feels normal. So we thought it was probably a faulty pressure sensor (couldn't really see how the service could have affected this either though). So I ordered a new sensor, got a socket bored out, removed airbox, serpentine belt etc etc and replaced the pressure sensor last night. Unfortunately, the oil light still comes on. It actually stayed on by the end of a short drive which it hadn't done before. It had been coming on for about 5-10 seconds, at no particular time - idling, reving, or downshifting.

This is the fault ana1ysis order given in the service manual for a P0524 code;
    1. Check engine oil level <-- it is registering on the dipstick, but i guess the only way to tell for sure is to drain it and measure the volume?
    2. Check oil filter <-- not a genuine jeep filter but on the box it stated what part number it is a substitute for, so I checked the part number with jeep and it is their oil filter number. Dont think those other two oils could have clogged it.
    3. Check the DTC's <-- took it to the second mechanic and we cleared the codes and they came back again.
    4. Mechanical problem <-- says to perform an engine oil pressure test, which would be to remove the sensor and put a physical gauge on one would assume.
    5. Check the sensor circuits <-- Already replaced the sensor, but I can't find the other end of the wires (ie cant find the ECM harness connector) to check the resistance of the wires and make sure there is no damage.

If it is not those things, then it would have to be a problem with the ECM. So my next step is to try and find the ECM and more specifically the harness connector (ie plug). Does anyone know where it is located? There is no diagram in the service manual. I spoke to the dealer and they thought it was between the battery and firewall, but I cant see it and the jerks won't release any literature/diagrams for me to look at. So if someone can help point that out, I should be able to rule out the wiring by checking the resistance of the three wires. That's the last thing I can do myself before I start incurring more labour costs...

So if that is not the issue the next plan is to take it to the mechanic and get them to put a pressure gauge on and see if I am getting pressure. If that is the issue, then I am in for a new pump. Otherwise it must have an ECM issue and I would need to drive 900km to get that sorted.

I just don't understand how the service could have caused this issue, even with those wrong oils. Pumps are bulletproof, and I can't see how it could be the oil filter as they put a 5W30 in there to begin with and that is when the problem started. The only thing I can think of is they crushed the sensor cables when changing the filter, but I can't see any physical damage (and can't test them yet as I can't find the other end).

Any thoughts? Havn't been able to drive the car for a fortnight, and counting
    Last edited by MarksJeep; 22-09-2010, 06:13 PM.
  • JeepMangler
    Senior Newbie
    • Aug 2009

had a very similar thing happen to me, got a CRD manual 09 unlimited, went for a service at jeep, as i drove out of the service centre the low oil light came on, went back 2 mins later after driving out, told me an oil pressure sensor and it was a common problem, they had to order it in, drove for a month with it going on for a bit then turning off, and on and off and on and off and so on driving me MAD till i went back to have it changed, maybe try the oil pressure sensor again, becuase it sounds like to me what i had, seems to be a common problem, not sure if there are 2 different types of sensors, one for oil level and one for oil pressure, I'd try the sensor (or sensors) again before you start playing around with the ECM

Comment

• Bluey
      Senior Newbie
      • Jun 2009

Hi mark

If you put the oil filter in wrong this can happen. There is a tab on the bottom of the filter that needs to locate in the housing correctly. I would remove the oil filter and check this first hopefully this will be all it is.

Comment

• MarksJeep
        • Dec 2009

jesus titty f8cking christ. i think you nailed it Bluey. Why did I not check that sooner. I guess I gave the mechanic too much credit and assumed he could install a bloody oil filter properly.

Will source a new filter tomorrow (hopefully theres one in town) and that should fix it up. fingers crossed! Thanks Bluey

Comment

• WHHEMI
          No Winching
          • Oct 2007

At least you found the problem I think you would be better of doing your own servicing from now on
          Formally known as greenjk

Comment

• bonza
            Lowranger Shocker
            • Mar 2006

your first ********ysis about the mechanic was correct, being a d###head

I have edited this because the legitimate word I used that means "examination" has been turned into asterisks by the swear word filter, unbelievable!
            Last edited by bonza; 22-09-2010, 08:54 PM.
            05 six speed khaki renegade
            I like a man who grins when he fights—
            Winston Churchill

Comment

• SeaComms
              MonsterMoose
              • Jun 2010

Assuming you paid for the first service, I would shoot the pictures to the first d1ckhead mechanic and advise him he owes you for the new filter, the replaced sensor and the oil and your own labour at the same (at least) hourly $ rate he charged you.

And of course Bluey's consultation fee for his expert opinion.
              Cheers, Dave :)

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club

Comment

• MarksJeep
                • Dec 2009

yeh the idiot got angrier than me. I don't really want to talk to him again. Might drop in one arvo and throw it down on his desk and walk out...

yeh greenjk, im annoyed I didn't do it myself. Just didn't want to have to do the diff oils without a hoist. have to do the gearbox now anyway though

Comment

Working...
                X