• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jives
    Established Member
    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by MightyMouse View Post
    The use of these super thin oils is also about the US based "Corporate Average Fuel Economy ( CAFE - pronounce with a K ) )" legislation. Vehicle manufactures will sell their souls to gain another 0.1 ltrs/100 km, regardless of the consequences to your engine

For them CAFE is serious stuff and can put them out of business, so long term engine protection isn't their major concern.

Also the 3.8 isn't a highly stressed engine, IMO regular oil changes with good quality oil is far more important than blowing heaps of cash on premium oil. If you want to pamper your engine change the oil more frequently.

The days of needing 20W50 minimum are over as oils have come a long way... but my choice is 10W... I'll sacrifice a possible tiny economy hit ( its a JK ffs... ) for superior protection when the engine is really working hard off road.

Your saying 10w30?
    Mines got around 100 000k on it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• AK-RUBI
      • May 2014

just put 10W30 in the old girl on the weekend. Its just hit 100,000km

Comment

• Wazza D
        Full Flexer
        • Sep 2013

I just use Castrol 10w/30 and the dreaded Ryco filter but I do the service at 6000 Kms.
        The 3.8L is not much more technical than a bloody old truck engine after all.
        I haven't had any problems.
        Driving Miss Monogamous.

Comment

• Banshee
          SwampDigger
          • Jul 2010

Why "the dreaded Ryco filter"?
          Jeeps: Lego for grownups!

Comment

• MightyMouse
            No Winching
            • Aug 2009

Since they moved manufacturing to China, many have decided they must now be crap.

The truth ? ...... who knows... and that goes for all the other filters as well.
            It seemed like a good idea at the time........

Comment

• layback40
              Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by MightyMouse View Post
              Since they moved manufacturing to China, many have decided they must now be crap.

The truth ? ...... who knows... and that goes for all the other filters as well.
              Best do what some of us have done. Cut a used one open, that way you can see how well its made & if there has been any breakdown with use. I have seen some shockers over the years, glue going soft, bad fitting parts that allow bypass etc.
              98&01XJVMs,06&07KJCRD's,No longer question authority,I annoy it.More effect,less effort.10000Club

Comment

• MightyMouse
                No Winching
                • Aug 2009

Certainly worth a look... deciding if the filter media is any good would be more of a challenge i expect. Whist quantity of media wouldn't be a bad start micron rating is also very important.

Many moons ago the company i worked for sectioned as many brands of Holden oil filters as they could buy and there certainly were visible differences, but they just used them for marketing pics without doing any tests - shame, would have been very interested in some actual data.
                It seemed like a good idea at the time........

Comment

• Mals-JK

filters ain't filters

I'd be very wary about 'Cheaper' Filters. Just went through this exercise with Fuel Filters on Marine Diesels. My company wanted to switch the Fleet over to the cheaper filter because they would be saving money. but the new ones gave poor filtration and in some cases fuel bypassing the filter all together! (this was found out after trialling them for a few months)
                  the bean counters were just looking at total cost of filter savings, not looking at the 'big picture' i.e. how much will it cost for new fuel pumps and injectors let alone lost contract money from engine maintenance down time, how good will the cheaper filters look then?
                  we don’t use these cheap filters anymore.

Comment

Working...
                  X