X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeepboy79
    CrawlerStar
    • Nov 2013

I run a K+N full time. What's wrong with them?
    sigpic

It's a KJ thing!
    KJ Cherokee 65th Anniversary Edition

Comment

• Wantsawillys
      Established Member
      • Jul 2012

K&n filters are for race cars or street racers. They allow a high volume of air to flow but at the cost of reduced filtration. They allow fine particulates straight through and these cause wear on your bores. Paper filters are best or if you want a re-usable filter try a Unifilter, they are similar to a k&n but have additional layers and finer foam scrubbers to trap the finer powdery dust.

Comment

• leemack
        I just registered
        • Mar 2007

2.8 KJ major service

Originally posted by bigfella View Post
        Bosch and Dayco both do fan belts for the 2.8. They are about $60.00. Better quality than the Jeep part too. I have misplaced the number however the dealers have the number in their parts book under Liberty. If not take the belt in and they will measure and supply..... if they are any good that is
        The bit I have been having trouble tracking down in Aus is the timing set for the front of the 2.8. Jeep quote was in the order of $900.00 just for the bits!!! Any info on this would be much appreciated.
        Hi, I just ordered a timing belt kit from IDParts.com in the US. $399 US for the works ! http://www.idparts.com/catalog/produ...oducts_id=2721
        Also got their oil change kit, and a timing belt change bolt for $3 and a pair of cut resistant gloves for $10. All up cost with UPS postage was $703 AUD

Comment

• del97td
          CrawlerStar
          • Sep 2005

hi guys just thought you might like to know that a ryco z68 from a toyota is almost the same size as z596 they are cheap as and readily available from repco ive been using them for a while now on my xj diesel with no probs also have a look through xj diesel parts there might be some stuff to add

Comment

• Jeepboy79
            CrawlerStar
            • Nov 2013

Anyone know of a wrecker anywhere selling a bull bar? I've decided id like to get one but not for $1800....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            sigpic

It's a KJ thing!

Comment

• Jeepboy79
              CrawlerStar
              • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Wantsawillys View Post
              K&n filters are for race cars or street racers. They allow a high volume of air to flow but at the cost of reduced filtration. They allow fine particulates straight through and these cause wear on your bores. Paper filters are best or if you want a re-usable filter try a Unifilter, they are similar to a k&n but have additional layers and finer foam scrubbers to trap the finer powdery dust.

Not sure I agree. K&N filters also use oil. Is there a finer filter on earth you can think of than oil? The spongy membrane in combination with the oil lets more air through but no particulates as the oil captures even the tiniest particles. Properly serviced, ie they're not set and forget, you will have no particulates enter the engine. If you're lazy or aren't interested in doing some basic maintenance then I agree, paper filters are for you.

sigpic

It's a KJ thing!

Comment

• glend
                AJOR Silver
                • Sep 2007

There has been much debate and research done on this topic over the years and the stock filter continuously out performs the K&N in terms to dust that we have to deal with here. If you never venture onto an outback track then you might be able to get by with K&N but as previous post has said, greater airflow comes at a cost - less protection. You can search on the US LOST forum as well - they reached the same comclusion. But hey its your money and risk so use what you want.

For people with snorkels, you can extend filter life by using either a cyclonic head on the snork or a pre-oiled snorkel neck insert. I did the Simpson Desert trip with a KJ CRD with a cyclonic head and he never changed his filter but his fuel economy was not as good as mine as it was more restrictive. I have used the snork insert sleeve once on Cape York but they are a hassle to check, clean, etc as they are inside the snork. There are external socks that fit over some snorks but I don't think they fit the Airflow large head.
                Last edited by glend; 16-09-2014, 03:17 PM.

Comment

• Tom&Phet
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Jeepboy79 View Post
                  Not sure I agree. K&N filters also use oil. Is there a finer filter on earth you can think of than oil? The spongy membrane in combination with the oil lets more air through but no particulates as the oil captures even the tiniest particles. Properly serviced, ie they're not set and forget, you will have no particulates enter the engine. If you're lazy or aren't interested in doing some basic maintenance then I agree, paper filters are for you.

I have to agree with you Jeepboy. I run a K&N filter in my pissy little 1989 Honda CRX for about the last 16 years. The car has now 386000km down on the original engine. Yes the pistons are worn and it uses a bit of oil but nothing drastic (1.5-2l/5000km). No oil leaks either.
                  I bought a K&N filter for our 3.7l KJ some 5 years ago and so far no issues at all. Our recent 2.8l KJ has the same now with great results in fuel consumption (best so far 7.4l/100km freeway, only 2 ppl and not loaded up).
                  For my everyday commuting between home and work those filters do me just fine. When I go 4WDing the filter gets changed as the oil clogs up too quick with dust and you can not just shake the f#%&k out of it and put it back in...lol...
                  ...but that's just my opinion....

Comment

Working...
                  X