X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SouthernComfort
    RubiconSlammer
    • Dec 2017

It's a bad state of affairs, so much smoke and mirrors being used that no one knows where they are. The only options are to make your own risk assessment as to whether an aftermarket oil/fluid is likely to stuff your car, or pay the over inflated prices for 'genuine' fluids in the hope of the risk being lower. Even then, I'd only purchase over the counter and not trust a service centre to put the right product in.

I'm a long standing fan of Penrite for most things, but have also encountered the odd inconsistency in the past. I didn't know about the HOAT vs. OAT example, but it's damned unforgivable IMO.
    MY13 GC Laredo CRD - gone but not forgotten
    MY23 Skoda Octavia MKIV wagon - fully loaded

Comment

• shep
      Established Member
      • Sep 2012

What is the correct oil to use? My 2017 3.0 WK2 is having its first non dealer service next week and I want to ensure that the correct oil is used

Comment

• drover
        MonsterMoose
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by shep View Post
        What is the correct oil to use? My 2017 3.0 WK2 is having its first non dealer service next week and I want to ensure that the correct oil is used
        I would be using a 5W40 oil with a C3 classification something like the Penrite Enviro+ 5W40 or Castrol Magnetec Diesel DX 5W40 they are both C3 which is whats needed for DPF, I can vouch for both of them as my engines have never failed....
        The biggest problem is folk need to know what the specs are for the lubes required and not some brand name, Yank or Euro named oil may be a different thing here in Oz, the above oils are okay, do work and don't cost the earth and have good availablity across the country, Mopar oil is just rebadged stuff, you pay big for the name.............

I have all my filters and oils noted on my phone for my vehicles and boat, so where ever I am the info is handy.... things like Dexos2, or Chrysler codes are stamps which oil companies pay to get from manufacturers....
        2015 WK2 Laredo(ZG, WG)
        Never too old to learn something stupid

Comment

• SouthernComfort
          RubiconSlammer
          • Dec 2017

Oils ain't oils, Sol! (oldies will remember...)

Comment

• Grippy
            Established Member
            • Jul 2015

Originally posted by drover View Post
            I would be using a 5W40 oil with a C3 classification something like the Penrite Enviro+ 5W40 or Castrol Magnetec Diesel DX 5W40 they are both C3 which is whats needed for DPF, I can vouch for both of them as my engines have never failed....
            The biggest problem is folk need to know what the specs are for the lubes required and not some brand name, Yank or Euro named oil may be a different thing here in Oz, the above oils are okay, do work and don't cost the earth and have good availablity across the country, Mopar oil is just rebadged stuff, you pay big for the name.............

I have all my filters and oils noted on my phone for my vehicles and boat, so where ever I am the info is handy.... things like Dexos2, or Chrysler codes are stamps which oil companies pay to get from manufacturers....
            So I'm assuming that the same oil can be used in the 2012 Diesel too then, seeing as it's the same engine? Looking at oil specs a while back, I remember that they recommended different bloody oils for the diesel from 14 onwards.
            I drive over stuff!!!!

Comment

• SouthernComfort
              RubiconSlammer
              • Dec 2017

Grippy, other opinions may differ but I reckon it took a couple of years for Jeep to decide the oil should have been 5w40 all along and changed it from 5w30 in 2014. I always use 5w40 in my 2013, fundamentally the engine no different to 2012 or 2014. Mechanic agrees. Same deal with the change to the oil filter, took two years to work out best position for the seal. As I say, others may have another view but that's my take.

Comment

• drover
                MonsterMoose
                • Apr 2005

The other thing to remember with the 3lt VM Mortori diesel the Chrysler code is EXF if it has another 3 letter code then it is more than likely the Benz 3lt an OM642 engine (cant remember the EX code)...

The VM engine (Chysler EXF)went from Euro5 to 6 in 2015 and the Yank engine is a bit different to ours as well, ours is in line with the european version so Yank problems may not always be ours...... most important thing is to read the label....

Also with 5 speed and 8 speed auto's and 3 versions of Transfer cases you need to know whats in your vehicle, don't trust general listings, the Australian Laredo is upspeced to the Yank model...... I look at the Jeep recommended specs then shop using that as my guide..................... Oils ain't Oils....
                2015 WK2 Laredo(ZG, WG)

Comment

• drover
                  MonsterMoose
                  • Apr 2005

Today I get a new catalogue from Autobarn and it has a CastrolEdge oil, 0W40 full syn for diesel, $19.99 for 5lt with specs of API SN/CF ACEA C3 never saw it in their online listings, you would think they would give these things another name having varius oil types with the same branding......this one would be okay to use but prefer about a 10 instead of 0....... shop with an eagle eye gentlemen..... was this the one you meant originally Olemate

2015 WK2 Laredo(ZG, WG)

Comment

Working...
                  X