• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • layback40
    Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by drover View Post
    Do people really believe all that anti wear blurb and all all the other claims that oil and fuel companies go on about, I always just thought of it as advertising bling, to be ignored......Used Valvoline for decades, my old vehicles would eat Castrol oils like GTX, moved onto Penrite then with the Colorado someone had a big special on Magnetec so I got some and since the drum is usually half full and it was okay have used it since, especially as its about $20 less than the Penrite . You know what I mean...lol,lol.
    Snake oil!!!

Very few of these oil 'manufacturers' actually make & blend their own oil. They have a spec & get a contract blender to mix & package it for them. The only difference is some 'oil' companies have some magic foo foo juice added. These additives are made by another company, normally they are called parabins. Companies like Exxon Chemicals have a range of them they sell to the 'oil' companies & blenders. STP was an example of this type of stuff. They tend to break down & then you are left with the oil base stock pumping around in the engine. Some of these additives break down to nasty things. If molly gets into the combustion chamber it can form carborundum. Not something you want around your bore & rings. That is part of the reason why products like slick50 got into trouble in the US.
    98&01XJVMs,06&07KJCRD's,No longer question authority,I annoy it.More effect,less effort.10000Club

Comment

• drover
      MonsterMoose
      • Apr 2005

Now your bringing back some stories and memories from many moons back, mates who would spend heaps on some of that stuff, I just used the plain old Valvoline or other plain wrapper oil/fuel, saved a bunch and nothing blew up...........back then like now if I can't buy it at a garage in Alpha or Goodooga then its not for me, fluids I use can be bought almost everywhere, I just carry filters...........
      2015 WK2 Laredo(ZG, WG)
      Never too old to learn something stupid

Comment

Working...
      X