• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Baxter
    Senior Newbie
    • Feb 2012

Hi All
    I also have the knocking noise and I have just discovered I have the Self Levelling "Sachs" shocks , are these shocks the common link?

Comment

• 4WD4FUN
      Full Flexer
      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Baxter View Post
      Hi All
      I also have the knocking noise and I have just discovered I have the Self Levelling "Sachs" shocks , are these shocks the common link?
      Some models of the WK2 Jeep ie Diesel with Coils have the Load levelling Shocks. It is also available in a tow pack apparently.
      This is not the same as those fitted with air bags.
      The system is used so you can have a soft spring for a nice ride and still carry a good load.
      It appears and this is only a theory at this stage that when the Jeep is not loaded that the valve in the shock is rattling as there is no load on it so the valve gives the rattle sound over Bumps if you put a load in your vehicle the valve is working to lift the vehicle and the noise disappears This is only a theory and not fact at this point. Here is the link for more details.

I did have a better link and will post if I find it

Last edited by 4WD4FUN; 19-02-2012, 09:27 AM. Reason: another link
      JKU CRD Auto, AEV Front Bar 285 70R 17 tyres- CRDSTU Lift kit.
      - just do it - no guts no glory.

Comment

• Gecko1949
        Senior Newbie
        • Jan 2012

Great research 4WD4FUN. This might explain Yoda42's experience. Apart from asking the dealer to check or pulling the rear suspension to bits, is there any way of finding out which type of shock is installed. The dealer has already replaced the rear shocks once to no avail but if they were the self leveling ones it might explain the fact that nothing changed. I haven't towed anything of any weight as yet but will be hooking up the van in the next few weeks so will be interested to find out the result. Does anyone know if standard (non self leveling) shocks are fitted say to the V6 without a tow pack? If so I wonder if fitting them would solve the problem? To many things to think about.
        sigpicGecko1949

Comment

• jjgc
          Established Member
          • Jan 2012

As far as I know there are two types the standerd has the auto levelling shocks the other is air suspension. Loved reading the articles by 4WD4FUN did not realize how much technology was involved. Whith so many other car manufactures using them Jeep should be able to find a fix.
          Jeep WK2 My12 Laredo diesel Mineral Grey. Jayco sterling 21 65 3

Comment

• Grand Cherokee
            I just registered
            • Feb 2012

Rear knocking noise

I just had my rear shocks replaced under warranty (steel springs not air). Initially the problem appeared to be fixed, but it is now making the same noise again.

Comment

• Gecko1949
              Senior Newbie
              • Jan 2012

Have just sent a formal email of complaint to Chrysler Customer Care. Will see if that gets a response. Not holding my breath though.
              sigpicGecko1949

Comment

• Gecko1949
                Senior Newbie
                • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Gecko1949 View Post
                Have just sent a formal email of complaint to Chrysler Customer Care. Will see if that gets a response. Not holding my breath though.
                to their credit I got a immediate response it is "Research and Development are working on a solution" that's it. I specified 10 working days for a response in my original email so I will wait for "Research and Development" to respond before I take the matter further, probably ACCC and Fair Trading.
                sigpicGecko1949

Comment

• jjgc
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2012

Just got word from my dealer/service dpt that Chrysler USA are working on a fix ETA about mid year. I'm happy with that because they have fixed every thing for me so far. Even the recovery hooks look like being fixed, fingers crossed.
                  Jeep WK2 My12 Laredo diesel Mineral Grey. Jayco sterling 21 65 3

Comment

Working...
                  X