X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • churbrew
    Senior Newbie
    • Nov 2014

Driving around today the knock sounds like it could be coming from the front. I don't notice it on big bumps but on the tiny to medium road imperfections it knocks and rattles. I went to the beach the other day there was some whooped out sections it got a bit bouncy I'm hoping I haven't done anything. Hopefully it is the back though haha

Comment

• Wanderer
      Full Flexer
      • Apr 2008

Well...that KNOCK..I had the ARB 2" lift fritted several months ago and the OME rear shocks knocked badly..My MY14 diesel had the updated mounts fitted pre lift so wasn't the problem...The OME shocks were sent back for further testing and the original Nivomat (self levelling) shocks refitted..No knock with them....Next week I'll be having re-engineered OME shocks fitted with redesigned valving and bushes I believe...Seems the GC rear is very prone to transmitting any rattle or kock through the monocoque body..Must add that ARB have been extremely helpful, kept in contact and have made every effort to find a solution...What I'd expect from this respected brand...Designing & testing shocks is a complex process..All my previous Jeeps (4) have had OME suspension & shocks and I've had no issues with pereformance or reliability so hope the new shocks do the trick.
      My WK2 Trailhawk, Laredo & Commander

sigpic

Comment

• Wato
        I just registered
        • Feb 2013

Does the latest TSB only apply to specific VINs?

Mine is a 2012 Grand Cherokee Limited diesel with self leveling suspension and I've the rear knocking noise problem started pretty much from a couple of months after buying it.

After being constantly fobbed off by the dealer every time I mentioned it, when I last got it serviced I took in a copy of the last TSB 17-002-14 which I though specifically related to my car/model/production date.

At first they agreed it needed the mounts, but when I took it back this week they have simply replaced the shock absorbers. When I asked why they hadn't followed the TSB I gave them, they said the mount fix only applied to specific VINs and my car was not one of them. They apparently entered my VIN on their system to see what TSB's came up and the only one was 17-005-13 which is about simply replacing the shocks - which they did.

My question to anyone that may know - is this right? ie are the mounts only for specific vehicles produced over that period or should it cover all self leveling diesels form 2011-14? Any expert advice gratefully accepted as it seems OK now but the car is out of warranty in three months and I really dont want the problem coming back when the dealer can wash there hands of it completely. Cheers

Comment

• Benn0
          RubiconSlammer
          • Feb 2013

Well that is how the dealer service guys work, if the VIN is recorded against the TSB, then they will apply it, if not..... they won't. The TSB says it apples to all WKs 2011-14 with SLS built up to April 2014.

I'd be asking the dealer service manager to ask FCA why yours isn't getting the fix when it is within the build dates and has the same issue. If you get no joy, they try Jeep Customer care call 1300 133 079 or email aucustomercare@fcagroup.com

If you still get no joy, tell them you will be lodging your issue with the ACCC, its got an investigation underway into this kind of crap.

ACCC Infocentre on 1300 302 502 or go to https://www.accc.gov.au/contact-us/c...complaint-form
          MY14 GC LTD CRD-ORA2/QL|Mopar 18" Night Fever Rims&RockRails|Chief Hooks&Sump Plate|STMaxx 275/65R18

Comment

• Benn0
            RubiconSlammer
            • Feb 2013

Just reading that TSB, it seems there may be a difference:

17-005-13 - built before September 29, 2012 (MDH0929XX)
            17-002-14 - built on or before April 15, 2014 (MDH0415XX)

What's your build date
            MY14 GC LTD CRD-ORA2/QL|Mopar 18" Night Fever Rims&RockRails|Chief Hooks&Sump Plate|STMaxx 275/65R18

Comment

• Wanderer
              Full Flexer
              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Benn0 View Post

What's your build date
              Well mine was built before April 2014 and dealer did mine without hassels...I was in there with no knowledge of the TSB and the Service Manager asked me if I had a knock in the rear..which I did so said he'd order the mounts and fit them when they arrive...and that is what happened and no more knocks with the Nivomat suspension...FCA should be easier to deal with since they have now discovered Customer Service really counts..I received a letter that they will replace my reversing camera with a better quality free of charge..this is not a safety recall but "Customer Service" in good faith....Hmmm..give them a call before their short term memory fades.
              My WK2 Trailhawk, Laredo & Commander

sigpic

Comment

• Wato
                I just registered
                • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Benn0 View Post

What's your build date
                Thanks Benn0 ....yep you are right, my build date is August 2012 so I guess that is why I only got the shocks replaced. Though it's still not really clear to me as the 2nd TSB says it applies back to 2011 so I assumed it superceded the one they have followed. Anyway so far, so good and I will be doing some Ks between now and end of warranty so hopefully if it is going to reoccur it will happen soon!

Comment

• silverfox1111
                  Established Member
                  • Apr 2013

My wk2 is going in for its last service before warranty runs out & ive asked that they look into the rear end noise.
                  It had the shocks replaced roughly 18 months ago but the noise returned soon after. At my last service i mentioned that the noise was back, but cause i was getting a lift kit from dobinsons within the next week i said dont worry about it (thought the new shocks would fix the noise). The noise is still there with the aftermarket shocks.
                  Now that ive seen the tsb# 17-002-14 i will be asking for the mounts to be replaced.
                  The way i read the shock & mount tsb's is that the shock tsb was tried first & when that didnt work, jeep then went to the mount fix (this would be backed up by the dates the tsb's were put out). Tsb 13 is only for those built before sept 2012 & tsb 14 is for all built prior to 2014.
                  From previous experience with the dealer im expecting quite a discussion tomorrow!
                  Barry

Comment

Working...
                  X