• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clarky
    Irok Bandit
    • Apr 2012

Originally posted by fwdjeep View Post
    Recovery point that is only rated at 2000 kgs is not good and very dangerous, in a full recovery suitation you could be applying something in the order of twice or more of that force.

Just let me know when you are being recovered so i can get as far away from it as possible
    Peple do and have been killed becuase they have attempted to recovery a vehicle with in approperate recovery equipment that simply failed at the time.
    Sorry my mistake,
    Jeep spec's
    2012 WK2 GVM = 6500 lbs (2948kg)
    WK2 hook rating is 1.5 GVM = 9750 lbs (4422kg) per hook
    2011 WK2 have 2 hooks

Find me a factory web site other then Jeep that rate there tow points, in fact find me a manufacturer that has recovery points as an option.

The only "recovery" points I can find for any make of 4X4 are after market and most of these bolt up to where the tow / tie down points were attached.

Please don't get me wrong, a rated recovery point is a good idea but is only as good as the mounting point its mounted to.
    ie: saguaro 4xcomponents recovery points for my WH bolt up to where the tow hooks come off.

My point is Jeep have engineered these hooks and the part of the chassis/ sub frame they attach to, to handle the above forces, don’t dismiss them as decretive just because they are factory.

I don’t want to see anyone hurt either, this is my opinion that I have formed after researching the www.
    There is more info on WK2 tow hooks out there then for my WH at least jeep have seen fit to rate the tow point on both models.
    Last edited by Clarky; 07-03-2013, 04:42 PM.
    sigpic SOLD 06 Limited G/C QuadraDrive II Lovells 2"Lift +30 rims 265/70/17 Imported Saguaro Bar Stedi

Comment

• yoda42
      Full Flexer
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by imaz View Post
      Seriously? I have the transfer case?? - Silly as it sounds, but without the transfer case you dont have the 4WD button?

Yes silly as it sounds , if you have the low 4 button you not only have constant 4x4 (high range), you have low range (transfer case) as well.
      Join a 4x4 (jeep) club and do a off road driving course, you will learn a lot about your vehicle, as well as how to drive safely off road
      sigpic2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo CRD, Aussieswag Rover LX Camper,http://travelswithbeagles.blogspot.com/

Comment

• GMWK2
        Established Member
        • Feb 2012

As listed by Jeep Australia on their Facebook page:

Jeep Australia: "Hi Alan, you will be please to know that this Grand Cherokee variant will in fact come with recovery hooks as shown.
        Jeep Australia"
        That is fantastic news!

Now we need to find out if they can be retrofitted to all MY12.
        Now - MY17 Overland, White
        Gone - MY15 Overland, Black
        Gone - MY12 Laredo, Grey

Comment

• drover
          MonsterMoose
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by yoda42 View Post
          If your GC has the low 4wd button, then it is "a real 4x4" and DOES have a transfer case.
          Yoda
          So don't sling off at my "Motorized Wheelbarrow" (Brumby) it has a handle for 4wheel LOW, far more manly than a button, though I do have to look out the window to see if I'm in mud or snow.
          2015 WK2 Laredo(ZG, WG)
          Never too old to learn something stupid

Comment

• Nicholas
            Established Member
            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by drover View Post
            So don't sling off at my "Motorized Wheelbarrow" (Brumby) it has a handle for 4wheel LOW, far more manly than a button, though I do have to look out the window to see if I'm in mud or snow.
            Lmao and let me guess manual front hubs?
            Don't Hold Back!

Comment

• drover
              MonsterMoose
              • Apr 2005

It's front wheel drive normally, so it would need FWHubs on the rear but no I just slam it into 4WL or H and put the boot in. I have actually pulled a Mitsubishi out of a sand bog once on Teewah beach, most embarassing for him, gave the snatch strap a good work out.
              2015 WK2 Laredo(ZG, WG)
              Never too old to learn something stupid

Comment

• rocketrod1967
                • Sep 2012

still no good!

I am still mad that my 2012 model came different to the 2011 I liked (the front recovery points) I waited many months for CJD Aust to implement their solution, one rated recovery point behind the bumper and frankly its CRAP!

Has anyone on here actually tried to use it?

I had a trial run on my front driveway had to put strap in sideways then couldn't remove it without a lot of swearing and pushing with a metal bar as the hook is too tight and it also catches the strap on the mounting bolt head,I would hate to be stuck on hot sand in 35+c heat getting it on and off!

Have not been able to find a rated shackle that fits either to make it easier,the solution is not one at all!

Id like to see if someone else has come up with a better idea for guys who don't need a bull bar but want the recovery point!

Comment

• GMWK2
                  Established Member
                  • Feb 2012

I am still mad that my 2012 model came different to the 2011
                  I know what you mean.

I cut about 20mm off the end of the recovery hook to make getting a snatch strap on an off a bit easier. I posted some photos on Jeep Garrage a while ago.

There is another guy who made up some brackets and mounted some after market hooks. They looked good but Im not sure how strong they would be in a full on recovery.
                  Now - MY17 Overland, White
                  Gone - MY15 Overland, Black
                  Gone - MY12 Laredo, Grey

Comment

Working...
                  X