• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SnakeDoctor
    Full Flexer
    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by jzp View Post
    Back to OP's query, I have noticed that the WK2 is very noisy towing. I have 3 trailers and they are all noisy on the wk2. Race car trailer, 6x12 tandem & 8x5 single axle. Lots of rattling and clunking. Put the same on the rubicon- silent!

Dealership went down the path of tightening the bolt, already FT. Tried new tow ball too. No explanation apparent.

Dunno what the problem is. Possibly noise transmitting throughout the chassis?
    Funny - I was searching for something else but yeah i've noticed that the Grand Cherokee really does transmit lots of towing "noise" into the cabin compared to my Wrangler and presumably other chassis/body cars.
    MY15 GC CRDSTU lift, Mopar rock rails, underbody protection. Chief sump guard, hooks.

Comment

• Cherokee30D
      RubiconSlammer
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by jzp View Post
      Back to OP's query, I have noticed that the WK2 is very noisy towing. I have 3 trailers and they are all noisy on the wk2. Race car trailer, 6x12 tandem & 8x5 single axle. Lots of rattling and clunking. Put the same on the rubicon- silent!

Dealership went down the path of tightening the bolt, already FT. Tried new tow ball too. No explanation apparent.

Dunno what the problem is. Possibly noise transmitting throughout the chassis?
      That's so coincidental.
      I have the exact same experience with my Grand & Rubicon.

Had my mechanic look right over the towbar set up and all is good.

Cheers, Craig
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBd...2ufU__6UkX7dLQ
      2014 Grand Cherokee & 2008 JK Rubicon

Comment

• Buffomarinus
        CrawlerStar
        • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Cherokee30D View Post
        That's so coincidental.
        I have the exact same experience with my Grand & Rubicon.

Had my mechanic look right over the towbar set up and all is good.

Cheers, Craig
        Are your towballs the same size between the two vehicles?

Comment

• Cherokee30D
          RubiconSlammer
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Buffomarinus View Post
          Yep, balls are the same size
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBd...2ufU__6UkX7dLQ
          2014 Grand Cherokee & 2008 JK Rubicon

Comment

• SnakeDoctor
            Full Flexer
            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Buffomarinus View Post
            I know you didn't ask me, but mine are the same yeah, first thing I checked (calipers), it's much less noise when i'm using a McHitch/DO35 style setup where there isn't any slop at all in the connection but even a trailer I know that bounces and rattles all over the place sends very little noise into my Wranglers cabin but it's proper annoying in my Grand.
            MY15 GC CRDSTU lift, Mopar rock rails, underbody protection. Chief sump guard, hooks.

Comment

• Troutman
              Full Flexer
              • May 2003

I reckon a little extra trailer noise is transmitted through the WK chassis compared to my old WJ for sure. The WK shares chassis technology with Merc ML, going back to the Chrysler-Daimler partnership and it is a much stiffer chassis than previous Grand Cherokees.
              MY15 WK2 CRD Laredo

Comment

• Numb Thumbs
                Full Flexer
                • Jan 2013

I reckon you will get a bit more noise in a monocoque, but in my case, most of the noise was the tow hitch rattling in the receiver. I simply packed it with either metal shims or even thick cable tie ends to stop it.

Cheers
                Numb Thumbs
                sigpic2017 Grand Cherokee Limited with Off-road Pack - Quadra-Lift, Quadra-Drive and Bash Plates.

Comment

Working...
                X