X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • multihull
    Full Flexer
    • Mar 2009

Hi Wal67, i was surprised to see all that oil in your inlet . I have a Provent on since about 70,000km and there's no sign of oil in the CCV exhaust gas inlet as per your photo or when I remove the entire big black air inlet tube. It's as clean as a whistle. On your Provent how are you catching the excess oil being caught and do you drain this oil regularly?
    I just have an extra long clear PVC drain pipe with a shut off value at the end and when the pipe shows that there a fair bit of oil in it I simply lower it down to drain into a container under the car.
    Enjoy life, just get out there and do it!

Comment

• wal67
      Senior Newbie
      • Jun 2012

Yeah it sure seems to be a dirty engine.

I catch the excess oil in a clear tube cable tied unter the drivers side of the Commander. I have it crimped over to close the system. I try to drain it when I change the oil but usually forget so do it every second or third time. This should not be too much of a problem as I change the oil every 5000km.

Cheers

Comment

• tempestv8
        Senior Newbie
        • Jan 2012

Managed to install the swirl motor resistor today on my BIL's 65th Anniversary Commander CRD.

Pulled off the updated intake hose and whilst there is a normal amount of oil in the turbo inlet, the swirl motor below was bone dry. Good to know that the black seal on the updated intake hose is working properly.

The plug was hard to remove from the swirl motor itself due to the bracket above it, so I had to undo the bolts to get the plug off.

I didn't like the location of the disconnected plug, as it is too near the turbo so it took a while to get the plug rerouted away from the turbo area. There is only enough wiring harness length to get to the top of the common rail.

I attached the resistor and used cable ties to hold it in place against the plastic cable shroud, which should provide some protection from the heat.

Took it for a drive and no error codes came up, nor did the check engine light. Could almost imagine that there was slightly more oomph in the mid range but can't say for sure, as I don't drive the Commander on a regular basis at all.

Very happy with this preventative measure. Whilst the swirl motor is working, who knows when it might give up the ghost.

Comment

• Clarky
          Irok Bandit
          • Apr 2012

Where did you get the plug/connector from?
          A link or part number if you have one please.
          sigpic SOLD 06 Limited G/C QuadraDrive II Lovells 2"Lift +30 rims 265/70/17 Imported Saguaro Bar Stedi

Comment

• tempestv8
            Senior Newbie
            • Jan 2012

There is a bloke in the USA who made this plug-in product, called Kurt Kiefer
            - his company is called Shibby Engineering

He can be contacted via this email address (remove the spaces) shibbyutman @ Hotmail . com

Shipped to Australia, I was quoted USD$35 all up. I don't have a part number.

Kurt accepts PayPal payments only, and to that same email address. I emailed him, paid using PayPal and received the connector inside a couple of weeks. Very happy about this "plug and play" solution.

I found out about it after reading this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/c...istor-1380618/

On page 17 you can see the product installed via a sequence of photos. I just wanted a cooler location so I took the trouble to relocate the plug as far away from the turbo as the harness would allow.

Now with this resistor modification in place, the ECU is none the wiser that the swirl motor is no longer functioning. No need to replace a faulty swirl motor!

Comment

• Mr Jake
              I just registered
              • Aug 2017

Please could anyone confirm that this modification works on a Jeep Cherokee 2.7 CRD 2002 with mercedes engine.
              Am I correct from my inspection that the swirl motor is under the inlet manifold and above the starter motor solenoid?

Comment

• Perku-t
                I just registered
                • Mar 2021

hello,
                do you think this mod / bypass would work on the 2.8 CRD 200 on the jeep wrangler JK ?
                JKU CRD200 BVA 2012 MW3 / 153.000 Km @ August 2021 / Smiles per gallons® certified driver

Comment

• Clarky
                  Irok Bandit
                  • Apr 2012

In have my doubts as the V6 and 5 cylinder are Mercedes motors and the 2.8 4cylinder is a VM Motori motor.
                  sigpic SOLD 06 Limited G/C QuadraDrive II Lovells 2"Lift +30 rims 265/70/17 Imported Saguaro Bar Stedi

Comment

Working...
                  X