• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ShaneWJ
    CrawlerStar
    • Jun 2018

WJ/WG tyre wear

Hi all,

Just after some feedback on how other WJ/WG's are wearing there tyres.

I've got cheap Austone that came on mine, had issues with bushes but have since rectified. The damage was already done with outer edges wearing.

I'll get a toe in toe out adjustment when I get new tyres, but should I spend decent money on tyres only to have them wear prematurely or just go a cheaper option.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks,
  • JoergM
    Full Flexer
    • Nov 2017

Originally posted by ShaneWJ View Post
    Hi all,

Just after some feedback on how other WJ/WG's are wearing there tyres.

I've got cheap Austone that came on mine, had issues with bushes but have since rectified. The damage was already done with outer edges wearing.

I'll get a toe in toe out adjustment when I get new tyres, but should I spend decent money on tyres only to have them wear prematurely or just go a cheaper option.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks,
    I think it depends what you want to do with your Jeep. I am using mine for offroad only (besides that it handles awful on tarmac anyway) and I had to take the same decision a year back it so.

I was looking for Mud tyres and went for a cheaper option. These tyres were certainly not bad with better side walls. But the way they were designed, they came off the rim in no time if deflated too much and there was not a single trip where I did not come back with any problem on one of the tyres. If you got for a cheap option you have to make compromises one way or the other and then it is for you to find out if this is acceptable or not.

I would also recommend to buy them used. I got a set of 33 inch BF Goodrich KM3 for less than 350 Dollars. The thread is still ok and I can drive them at least for another 1 or 2 years before thinking to get new ones. And even then I only need to replace 2 of them since the others still have 80% left. If you are looking for all terrain and only in the standard size the investment should not be so substantial anyway.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Instagram melbourne_wj

Comment

• 5oclock
      Full Flexer
      • Apr 2018

I have had 40k km out of cheap bob jane all terrains,still got plenty of tread (didnt have super deep tread when new).They probably will do another 20k km..Did the toe myself before they were fitted,ball joints and tie rod ends were replaced before they were fitted. Do a lot of off road and drive too fast around corners etc,,so i would think more sedate (read sensible ) drivers would be happy with tyre wear on WG if all mechanicals are good.

Comment

• bodgie
        Rock Munki
        • Aug 2009

I've been running Yokohama Geolander AT-S GO12's and they've done with not so regular rotation 85-90,000km. Consistent tyre wear even when some of the bushes were less than stellar.

I'd buy them again but sizing is very limited these days.

Jason

Comment

• JeanLuke
          Lowranger Shocker
          • Jul 2017

I put on a set of Falken WildPeaks 245/70/17 about 20,000km ago. I rotate every oil change, 5,000km.

Wearing fine.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
          Last edited by JeanLuke; 02-03-2020, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X