• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bodgie
    Rock Munki
    • Aug 2009

2.7 Turbo

Had the supply pipe off to the turbo on the weekend and noticed some side or radial play in the turbine when it was cold. Not much noticeable end float FWIW.

Just wondering if anyone knows what the spec may be for side play?

All of the research I've done indicates that if it ain't touching the housing you are good to go and most turbos even when new are like this.

Jason
  • Morris4x4Center
    Full Flexer
    • Mar 2010

Originally posted by bodgie View Post
    Had the supply pipe off to the turbo on the weekend and noticed some side or radial play in the turbine when it was cold. Not much noticeable end float FWIW.

Just wondering if anyone knows what the spec may be for side play?

All of the research I've done indicates that if it ain't touching the housing you are good to go and most turbos even when new are like this.

Jason
    Sounds like Shaft play. how many miles on the motor? Shouldn't be a worry unless you are hearing it scrape while under G force mid turn. It may get worst over time.
    sigpic
    Morris4x4Center.com

954-941-7807|
    Price Match & Free Shipping on Orders Over $75*!

Comment

• MidnightMods
      MudSplasher
      • Jun 2012

with the engine off and no oil in the turbo you will find a small amount of side to side play which is normal

Comment

• bodgie
        Rock Munki
        • Aug 2009

I'm not hearing any noises so I suspect all is OK. No real oil in the turbo apart from what accumulates from the PCV system.

Jason

Comment

• SMBCJ
          CrawlerStar
          • Jun 2006

Mine has a bit of oil around it too. Hopefully I'll fix that with the catch can.

Are all the turbo impeller vanes supposed to appear the same? When I last had a look at mine, there was one blade that was a different colour to the rest. Kind of a pale white colour. All the others were metal-coloured.

Anyone else noticed that type of thing? I haven't had any issues, just wondering is all.

Comment

Working...
          X