• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cpage66
    The Leaver of Red Jeeps
    • Feb 2004

Universal joints

5-153X (~$12.00)
    Very popular, inexpensive, and long lasting. Grease fitting located in the body of the cross, which lessens its torque capacity. A little looser fit than would be ideal for high speed applications

5-433-1x (~$25.00)
    I consider this to be their best joint. This joint is stronger than the 5-153 for high impact loads. Grease fitting is located in the end of one of the bearing caps and the body of the cross is drilled with a small hole.

5-625X (~$20)
    This is the joint Spicer supplies to OEM and they think it is the best joint they have ever made. This is a non-greaseable joint and we are continually changing these out on relatively new/low mileage vehicles. Most times, the joint haven't worn out, but failed because water entered the joint through the seals and started rusting, which caused a "squeaking noise"

__________________________________________________ _______________

The above was taken from Tom Woods' website. I replaced my rear u-joint on the Grand today and was surprised to see that Repco carries the Spicer 5-153X as their house brand. Some of ya'll know I've been looking for a heavy duty u-joint at a decent price...I bought the Repco 5-153X and it is much beefier than the OEM u-joint and fits a little more snugly in the rear yoke as well. $27.00 for the u-joint itself BTW...
    1996 XJ with a few mods
    2003 WJ with a lot of mods
    2009 XH with no mods
  • Tonto
    Full Flexer
    • Apr 2003

Cpage (or anyone) ... advice for a newbie to the U-Joint replacement business.
    If you replace the OEM with a Repco 5-153X, any guidance on which side to have the zerk pointing, or does it not matter ?
    1998 TJ - rarely used, looking worried
    1995 80 Series Cruiser
    vale 1998 XJ

Comment

Working...
    X