• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zgpom
    I just registered
    • Aug 2005

ZG low range problems

Is it a common problem & is there a fix. I have a '97 ZG auto that disengages low range (usually at the most inconvenient time) when you are least expecting it. Usually happens when coming off load, ie: just going over the crest of a hill etc.
    Have looked at the linkage, doesn't seem to be bent or loose. Had it to the dealer, they say can't find anything either.
    Hopefully someone else has had same problem & there is a fix. Not looking forward to going off road again, not knowing if & when I will loose low range again.
  • Cpage66
    The Leaver of Red Jeeps
    • Feb 2004

Which T/C you got? How long has it been doing this? When was the last time you changed T/C fluid?
    1996 XJ with a few mods
    2003 WJ with a lot of mods
    2009 XH with no mods

Comment

• jam jar
      Established Member
      • Sep 2003

My ZJ also did that, so i cheked all the linkages and found that there is a plastic bush that sits between the rod and the plate pivit and the T/C, there are two i think and they where broken. After replacing them it did it again and i found that although it appeared that i was fully engauging low range, the selector linkages just needed some grease, problem solved.
      IF ONLY I HAD TURNED LEFT BACK THERE!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• zgpom
        I just registered
        • Aug 2005

Quadra-Trac, model 249 J, build date Jul '96. Fluid changed in Jan 2005 when new drive shaft was fitted. but it was jumping out before that as well.

Comment

• zgpom
          I just registered
          • Aug 2005

Checked the linkage in June, the plastic wasn't broken but I thought it was a bit loose/sloppy. I put a thin washer between it & the selector linkage. This tightened it up & improved it slightly, it seemed to engage more positivly, but in the end it still disengaged after a while.

Comment

• Buzz
            AJOR Gold
            • Feb 2005

If all the linkages are ok it may be the selector spring, ie there is a spring inside the Tcase which pushs a selector bolt with a rounded head onto a 3 postion selector this gives it that positive clunk feel when changing between Hi neutral low, the spring may be compressed or the selector rod or bolt are worn allowing vibration to let it work out toward neutral. The spring and selector bolt are held in via an external bolt on the Tcase so you can get to them without pulling the whole case out, but make sure you drain it first if you take the bolt out.

Here's an exploded diagram, they're not numbered but the spring and bolt are next to number 38 facing straight down the position selector is number 34.
            Drivetrain catalog offering discounted Toyota H42 transmission parts, complete repair kits, major components and troubleshooting help, including free trouble shooting help and illustrated parts drawing.

I had this problem and that's what it was.
            It may pay just to mention it to the dealer and see what they think first.

Comment

• zgpom
              I just registered
              • Aug 2005

Thanks for the reply Buzz, this sounds the most logical. Looks like I've got something to do this coming weekend. I'll let you know what I find.

Comment

Working...
              X